Generators and Lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone give me some advice?

I have been tasked with sorting the lighting for my sons school PTA firework display. In the past another father supplied the lighting but seeing as his son left the school 4 years ago we think that we may be asking one favour too many.

We propose to run (power) 100m of festoon lighting (100 x 25w or 15w bulbs) and a Tea Urn off of a generator.

Can someone advise me on the capacity of generator required.

Is it 2.5kW for the lighting plus the urn (1.5kW??)
Therefore anything in excess of 4kW??

Thanks in advance for your help

Simon

Sponsored Links
4kilowatts or 4KVA seems adequate but with no spare capacity. Running at maximum for long periods is not a good idea as the genny may trip off on overload if the overload sensor is "aged" ( become too sensitive )

But do have some battery operated lighting, preferable automatic, in case the generator shuts down.

it would be easier to use a non-electric tea urn, perhaps some kind of camping thing run on gas.

Then you will need a less powerful generator, fewer fuses, thinner cable - all cheaper to hire or buy. And fewer electric things within reach of anyone touching them

BTW it would do no harm to ask the previous parent for advice.

Sponsored Links
Grab a couple of SONS ;) 4 of them, 280watt + control gear + urn......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back