Getting a Baxi/Valor 740FS Dream (GC 32-032-55) gas fire operational

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have inherited a Baxi 740FS Dream which was fitted in 2003 and rarely used, according to the previous owner.
Following the common "ignition failure" fault, our fitter undertook a service, had no joy with the fault so replaced the Pilot Unit (3002988) - to no avail. The next step was then to replace the Interruptor Block (5108851) - which we were surprised to find is now obsolete - a strange state of affairs given that the Valor technical advice is to supply/fit both items at the same time.
The fitter shrugged his shoulders & gave me his mates number - a gas fire retailer.
I'm mortified to think that this fire has now been rendered obsolete for the sake of a £10 item and that the only option seems now to be to fit a new fire at the cost of several hundreds of pounds.
I have undertaken some research & compared the 740FS engine with the newer 940FS & find that the Pilot Unit & FSD Valve are common to both - the only difference is the Interruptor Block - 5108851 vs 5121753 - which is fitted between them.
Does anyone have an opinion/advice as to whether they might be interchangeable? It may be that they have different operating characteristics, but, in as much as you can compare, the 740FS & 940FS seem to be technically & physically identical.
I have submitted a request to Valor along these lines & am awaiting a response.

In respect to this fault, can anyone offer any tips to resolve, that may have been overlooked?

By way of a DISCLAIMER, and to avoid any "incoming", I will confirm that I am not about to undertake any remedial work on this appliance. I am only seeking to identify a solution to aid our fitter.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Ian
Thanks for your response - however, just like all of the other spares sources, Wolseley list the item "for information only" & is no longer stocked - 'cos it's obsolete.
They do list the 5121753 as "a similar product", which still doesn't get me anywhere.

Sponsored Links
It is unlikely to be the , interrupter block that is faulty, they dont actually do anything, suppose it could go faulty, what did your engineer do to test it ?

As expected, Valor are takig a "slopey shoulders" position on this and offerring "no comment"! I suspect it's a matter of distancing themselves from those Baxi/Valor products manufactured prior to the Glen Dimplex acquistion.

Ian
Short answer is - I'm not sure exactly what he tested. His position was that this was "the next step" & that he could go no further. Hence my frustration.

Ian
I have read somewhere that on re-assembly of the thermocouple, the leads/connections can be compromised - might this be the case?
Any advice on other items to consider - maybe the microswitches?

There's a complete used fire on eBay for £15 if you're anywhere near Solihull. There's quite a healthy market on eBay for old gas stuff. I made a packet selling the 24v gas valves when I pulled out my old Gloworm Spacesaver - many people obviously think it better to keep them going and pay a few hundred more on the gas bill rather than thousands on a crappy combi.

Pilot not staying on? These had an off microswitch that interrupted t/couple and often broke

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back