getting a bib tap vertical - how?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently tried replacing an old outside bib tap. This tap had a very strange non-return valve fitted at the end of the water pipe before the tap.
I can't find a replacement anywhere - probably the first one ever made...

Both tap and nrv were damaged so I removed both. However, when I inserted a new all-in-one bib tap-cum-nrv the tap did not end up vertical but horizontal.

How do I get it vertical? Of course now I only have the bib tap thread to use rather than the two threads before. But there must be a simple reason why the tap doesn't end up vertical when screwed into place. This is the first time I've seen this happen. Anyone know what to do? Please help. I can't do much with a horizontal tap :)

Sponsored Links
Unscrew the bib tap and wrap some more ptfe tape round the thread to pack it out so it ends up in the right place.
Remember to support the back plate elbow or whatever it screws into as you tighten.
You dont need it supertight

Sponsored Links
Or a small amount of hemp and Boss blue :) BUT you have to buy a lot.and I can`t send you some in the post :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back