New diverter valve and bib tap install questions

17 Mar 2009
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Am taking on some DIY jobs around my home-

1) our diverter mid position valve (3 port) is a ACL, Drayton. It seems to be letting by as with hot water selected, our upstairs radiators (on the same floor as the valve and the airing cupboard) heat up. It is pretty old.

I want to fit a honeywell as they seem to be the most popular and most reliable. will the valve fit my old alve, or are dimension sizes for different makes/models different - will pipe adjustement be necessary?

2) i am going to fit an outside hose union bib tap (finally) as it will be handy for the summer - i have read the water regulations guide and understand that i will require a double check valve to be installed inside the building after the stopvalve to thr bib tap - i also know i have to sleeve the tap (in a 22mm pipe) and seal it at both ends (will use sand and cement if that is ok)?? - my one question on this is: what size drill bit is best to drill a hole through an external brick wall for a 22mm pipe? :oops: i want to get it right first time.

Thanks for lending me a hand here. ALl the best.
Sponsored Links
I can only answer on the tap.

Good idea to sleeve it but not compulsory, and certainly do not use sand an cement as it could corrode the pipe.

I would use a 25mm drill bit.
Sponsored Links
Don't have much to do with Drayton products, but you may have to alter the pipe work slightly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local