Outside tap install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install an outside bib tap so I can water my garden. I have seen a tap kit for sale, but also was thinking of buying the parts separately.

I know I need a double check valve fitted on the pipe to the tap to stop backflow.

My query is - I have a power drill (240V DeWalt one) whoich is quite good. But I have never drilled right through a masonry wall before.

Will I need a 1/2" or 3/4" drill bit (the large/long ones) and can I use my original drill or will I need a more powerful one? Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
dont buy the tap kit if its the one with plastic hose etc.drill will be fine better with a pilot hole first.dont drill from inside out you will make a mess of your bricks

Hi

Separately best solution.
Yes check valve .Some bib taps have built in check valve. Also isolation valve to turn off supply.
Dewalt good. Drill bit 16mm+ for 15mm pipe on hammer not too fast.

HTH

Thanks all for your help

Is it best to drill with a pilot, say 8mm-10mm first from outside?

Also, should I wrap the pipe to prevent corrosion??

Sponsored Links
personally i would sleave a 15mm pipe for an outside tap with some 22mm pipe or overflow pipe least any leaks wont find its way to the cavity.so 3/4 inch drill bit would do.your dewalt should be ok far standard block wall.

ok thanks, i'll sleeve the gap between pipe and wall, and is silicone sealant ok to seal gap between pipe and sleevel at each end?

I'll get a 3/4" bit then, any good / decent brand ones? What sort of cost should I be looking at?

ok thanks, i'll sleeve the gap between pipe and wall, and is silicone sealant ok to seal gap between pipe and sleevel at each end?

I'll get a 3/4" bit then, any good / decent brand ones? What sort of cost should I be looking at?

yes silicone is alright.if its a one off job id just get a cheap bit.usually the ones at the sheds arent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back