Fitting outside tap on - hit wood when drilling through wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fitting an outside tap to my home. When I bought the house I was told by the surveyor that it's timber framed.

I started by drilling through the outside wall for the pipe. I drilled through the masonry and then after a large gap (2 - 3 inches) the drill hit wood. I lost confidence to continue so stopped drilling.

I don't know what that wood is - structural? Cladding? Should I continue drilling?

Has anyone else come across this when drilling through the wall of a timber framed house?

Sponsored Links
trionic said:
I'm fitting an outside tap to my home. When I bought the house I was told by the surveyor that it's timber framed.

He was possibly right

I started by drilling through the outside wall for the pipe. I drilled through the masonry and then after a large gap (2 - 3 inches) the drill hit wood. I lost confidence to continue so stopped drilling.

He WAS right :D

I don't know what that wood is - structural? Cladding? Should I continue drilling?

No. Find out what it is first.

if its a timber framed house what do you expect to find?

I would move to the right or left and start again, it may be a "main beam" you have hit, not good to put holes in that

True... on a timber framed house I would have been more surprised if I'd found myself drilling through a badger :D

How would you find out exactly what that wood is, considering it's hidden in the wall cavity? Are there any other precautions I should know before drilling another hole?

Why is it that all DIY jobs end up being more complicated and more expensive than they need to.

Sponsored Links
trionic said:
True... on a timber framed house I would have been more surprised if I'd found myself drilling through a badger :D

Yes you might :rolleyes: but it would most likely be a cat. They were frequently built into walls.

How would you find out exactly what that wood is, considering it's hidden in the wall cavity? Are there any other precautions I should know before drilling another hole?

Take a core sample or hire a stud finder (cheap diy ones are useless)

Why is it that all DIY jobs end up being more complicated........

Because they are not assessed properly.

and more expensive than they need to.

They need to be as expensive as necessary to get the required result. What you mean is that your estimate was too low.

trionic,

insert drillbit into hole til it touches "wood"

mark drillbit with insulating tape 1/2" back from flush of wall

start drilling until tape meets wall

should now be through sheathing ply and clear

if not relocate hole.

Experience is something you dont get until just after you need it. :LOL:

If you hit wood, just drill to the left or right. Though you may hit a plastic water pipe instead. :eek:

Nah, the electric juice stops coming out pretty quickly, but water ............

trionic said:
True... on a timber framed house I would have been more surprised if I'd found myself drilling through a badger

And i'd have reported you to Local Authority Badger Control - you can't just drill through a badger without lining John Prescott's pockets you know.

What a bunch of ****takers takers :rolleyes: ....it`s only a 16mm hole FFS.........just go for it. If it`s inside location is away from plug sockets and radiators the cavity should be clear of wires and piopes :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back