drilling wall for pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all
very new to this mularky so apologies in advance for any indescretions.

please advise on best practise for drilling straight through an outside wall in order to fit an outside tap,timber frame construction. can i drill straight through from outside to inside, drilling through block, ply and plasterboard using long 20mm masonry bit? pipe connection to be made to pipework under utility room sink.

Sponsored Links
Better to drill from inside first with 10mm bit and drill from outside with the 20mm:cool:

;)

it will be very hard to drill a masonary bit through ply. you may even damaged the inside whilst doing it as you will have to push very hard for some time. It might be worth getting a small drill bit with an extension bar to drill the internal wall once through the outside as a pilot hole.

Sponsored Links
The trouble with timber framed buildings is the vapour barrier in the cavity.

Technically, this is meant to be maintained at all costs when piercing it, otherwise dampness could permeate through from outside.

Practically this is virtually impossible to avoid. That is why i would never buy a timber framed house in the UK. They are not designed to be altered afterwards.

This seems to be a brick outer leaf and then a plaster board inner lining on a timer frame.

But is this really what is referred to as a "timber frame" building? I thought that a true house with that definition does not have any brick walls?

Tony

Pipe needs to be sleeved for the same reason as a gas pipe that passes through a cavity wall or such, to detect leaks and ensure that, if a pinhole or split in the pipe occurs, water doesn't run into the cavity :)

You're takin the mick, Agile, aren't you ? :D

Whilst that may be an admirable thing to do, I am not aware of any regulation that requires a pipe to a garden tap to be sleeved and I dont recall ever seeing one sleeved!

On the few ocasions that I have fitted a garden tap I have not sleeved them.

Tony

That is true, Tony. The only regs are for gas / oil pipework. I do it for peace of mind more than anything. :)

But I always make an isolating valve on the gas supply to a hob accessible even though the regs say it just has to be fitted but not actually accessible!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back