22mm copper sleeve through wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If fitting an outside tap, or drilling pipework through internal walls for central heating/general pipe runs, is it necessary to have a 22mm copper sleeve, or can you simply go straight through with a 15mm pipe?

If you must have a 22mm sleeve, what is the reasoning behind it?

Sponsored Links
a sleeve is to protect a copper pipe from corrosion from the cement, and to perhaps allow for some movement without fracturing the pipe, a gas pipe must be sleeved, not actually sure if a water pipe must be sleeved but i always sleeve it as it takes 30 seconds longer to fit the sleeve than not fit it, and the time to drill the slightly bigger hole is minimal as well

Thanks for the reply. I shall use sleeves based on your advise. Do you know what make i should go for when buying a 22mm drill bit. I had a look in wickes and BnQ. Wickes had them for about £20, BnQ were selling them for about £35! I seen some at an outdoor market for about £5, dont think i want to chance that.

Use a 25mm bit for a 22mm pipe otherwise it goes wrong!

Sponsored Links
All metal and copper pipes that pass through a wall must be sleeved. Water or gas. So im told. And made to do. :cry: :cry: :cry:

All metal and copper pipes that pass through a wall must be sleeved. Water or gas. So im told. And made to do. :cry: :cry: :cry:
i dont think steel pipes need to be sleeved as cement wont corrode them
now that i have re-read this post i have changed my mind and think steel pipes should also be sleeved to protect them from movement :oops:
kirkie,kirkie, o dear, o dear.
concrete is akin to cancer, for MI pipe

i have spent the last 20 years blanking it off, and re piping "swimming pool size " areas for heating!!!!!!!!!

With a bleedin` SDS no doubt :rolleyes: Do it by hand with a hammer and chisel ...one from each side... up a ladder... and accurately measure from inside to out so the holes line up :eek: You`re all a bunch of Dish fitters -blowing half bricks out of walls :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back