Outside tap drill bit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Can anyone recommend a decent drill bit (make etc) for drilling a hole through an external wall to fit an outside tap. I want a decent quality one that will do a good job really.

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Any decent long length SDS tungsten tipped bit will be fine (I've got some excellent Bosch ones)......18mm diameter is a useful size.
John :)

thanks.

would you sleeve the pipe in 22mm or just wrap it to protect it from corroding in the wall?

Sleeve it yes, but use overflow pipe it is a lot cheaper. And drill from the outside for a neater job. mark the thickness of thw wall on the drill bit with masking tape and turn the hammer off for the last inch of drilling.

Sponsored Links
Id personally sleave it with some 22mm or cheaper still overflow pipe. for precaution. say in the future you get a leak and its going down your cavity. but you dont notice it. on the inside or out. p.s dont forget isolation valve and check valve should be on the inside.

thanks for all your help. Yes I have a tap with a built in double check valve. I'm going to tee off after the main stopcock indoors under the sink, then add another isolation valve before going through the wall to bib tap.

as it is a cavity wall, will the drill bit go straight through? and should i drill with 15mm and then use 22mm (to take sleeve) or go through first with a smaller bit as a pilot? I have never drilled right through a wall before, but have done a lot of drilling.

Taps with built-in check valves do not comply with water regulations, the double check valve must be a seperate item located inside your house.

Provided the drill bit is long enough it should go straight through your cavity, yes. It's good to start small and get bigger, a pilot would be useful, it helps to reduce breakout and also makes less mess if you happen to come out somewhere unexpected!

I always drill 10mm piot, then 19mm, then 25mm. Do the 19 and 25 from both sides to prevent messing your bricks up. A check valve is a check valve, really wouldnt worry to much about where it is. Plenty people dont have them at all and I'd like to know how many issues they've caused, probably a big fat 0

ok thanks for your help. I'll drill 10mm from outside - in, then 19mm both sides and same with 25mm. is normal silicone sealant ok to fill the gap between wall/sleeve/pipe?

A check valve is a check valve you are correct, but to comply with current water regs, you must fit a double check valve on the inside of the property.

I use a long 6mm drill to go right through then a 23mm from both sides to keep the hole neat. It allows you to buy a cheaper 23mm drill as it only needs to be long enough to go through one brick.

Saves a lot of dosh if doing a lot of drilling.

ok thanks for your help. I'll drill 10mm from outside - in, then 19mm both sides and same with 25mm. is normal silicone sealant ok to fill the gap between wall/sleeve/pipe?

if your buying the drill bits just for this job then ignore the 19mm. I just do it to be sure i dont blow the bricks., but its overkill for one job.

Two drill bits,silicone,tap,pipe, fittings etc bought from B&Q or the likes

Cheaper to phone a plumber to supply and fit the lot-job done in an hour tops.
Job garenteed also!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back