Converting an outside washing machine tap/join to a tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have an outhouse with a washing machine tap already plumbed in with a blue off switch, but I want to be able to plumb in an outside tap in its place

Im a DIY disaster and see I can buy the outside tap kits from wickes and the like but rather than drilling through walls etc is there anyway to convert the existing washing machine tap/blue thing to an outside tap.

Sponsored Links
if the tap that is there is on the outside, then yes it is easy to do, you will need: an outside tap, a back plate, a compression bend, a bit of copper pipe, done properly there should be a double check valve and isolater fitted on the inside as well
turn off the water, disconnect the w/machine valve, screw a 15mm compression bend onto the nut and olive that remains from the w/machine valve face the bend down fit a bit of 15mm copper pipe into the bent back plate then screw the tap into the bent back plate, use ptfe tape on the male thread of the tap that goes into the back plate, i have attached a pic of what i mean, (seal the hole where the pipe goes thro' the wall, dont leave it open like mine haha)

May as well remove the w/m valve, replace with a backplate elbow and screw tap on, hopefully there will be enough 'flex' in the pipe to screw the backplate elbow to the wall?

That way your tap is in your outhouse, is that what you want as you mention not wanting to drill through walls...........

thanks for the replies, I will have a look at it tonight and take a picture and see if I can do the above.

Sponsored Links
well I found a hose adaptor that screwed onto the washing machine tap exactly. job done for £1.75 :)

plus i didn't have to drill so another job I haven't messed up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back