Getting a nice concrete finish.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

I'll soon be laying a concrete slab for my garage / workshop.

Today i've been thinking that it would be nice to have a smooth, painted finish.

I've concreted before, but only for shed bases and a driveway, which just got left rough/ribbed from the tamping.

So once it's levelled and tamped, what's the best way for me to get a good finish - probably once it's set, as hand troweling isn't going to be something for me to try!

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
His final finish on that was an aluminium float which is an average finish. You can go one step further with a steel blade.
But still a long way from a power floated finish which on a slab like that you would follow up after the aluminium bull floating.

An average sized garage is easily hand floated to a reasonable finish by someone experienced.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the suggestions.

As for why not, because I believe I would royally mess that up as I think it's a skill, like plastering?
Or is a bull float pretty easy? I can see myself getting lines in it where one pass has more weight/pressure than the other...

Cheers

Yes you will get lines but you keep working them down as the slab sets.
Its difficult to eliminate them completely though.

That's where the power float comes in.

Ok thanks, maybe it'll be worth giving it a go on the log cabin base that'll be going down first.

Any ideas where to get one for a decent price, going to need a few times so might pay for itself by the time I've hired..?

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back