Getting a wall ready for plastering (pics)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am new to this website, just looking for a little help. I am renovating a late 1800's coach house that for the last 10 years has been used as offices. The building is in good condition but needs some interior work done.

The first job I am doing is taking out the two twin toilets that the office had. These toilet rooms were part tiled and part wallpapered. I have removed the tiles with an air chisel. Under certain parts of the tiles was wood panelling and other parts was old plaster on top of bricks. The areas under the tiles is now very uneven as some of the old plaster has come away, up to 1" in places.

Under the wallpaper was a skim coat of plaster on top of wood panelling again. This has been quite hard to get off and in places is uneven. 1/2" here and there.

I am looking to paint all of these walls so would need to get them back smooth. what i wanted to find out was the best way to repair these walls before i get a plasterer to come in to finish the job. I am on a relatively tight budget so am willing to do most of the hard work myself, how can i get the walls as prepared as possible ready for the plasterer.

Any help or ideas are much appreciated and thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Cant see the pics I'm afraid but if its quick and cheap your after then dot and dab or preferably batten and board over the walls.

Sponsored Links
I`d go with batten and board ;) - then get square edge board , not tapered :idea: . If you know a plasterer , fine - if not you could message me for a price ( don`t tell the moderators :LOL: )

Thanks for your help. If I have to board or dot and dab is there no need to smooth the walls off as best as possible? The rooms are quite small 15m sq. would an extra layer of wall make it feel smaller? If you click on my images you can see pictures in my album.

Thanks again

ha ha ha im in kent your in my neck of the woods if you need advice on prices specs ect

It wont make much difference, your looking at loosing an inch and a half with batten and board and you get the benefit of a void to hide cabling and pipework too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back