Getting Bluetooth Sound From My TV To My Headphones

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I have just ordered a TV for my wife, for use in the bedroom: https://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-u...-inch-with-tvplus-apple-tv-app-black/p4069396

I went for this model as I'm on a budget, seems a reasonable brand, comes with the obligatory JL 5 year warranty and in the spiel it claims to have all the usual apps including in particular HayU which my wife watches, (its absolutely dreadful what they show on there but that's another story) thus avoiding having to get a Fire Stick or similar.

However she would like to use her Bluetooth headphones, as the TV doesn't have bluetooth I believe I can order something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/TROND-Blue...6CGXYGYKRSW&psc=1&refRID=PS1FNQGQB6CGXYGYKRSW which I can plug in to the optical out and use to transmit to her headphones, thus saving me ever having to listen to this god awful channel.

Assuming I've grasped the situation correctly one question, presumably I just use the volume control of the TV to control the volume in the headphones?

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid Optical isn't designed to work in that way; it's something to do with reducing the volume that also reduces the data resolution, and that messes up the signal. I checked your TV manual (p75) and it confirms that when Optical is connected, and the menus set to send sound that way rather than via the TV speakers, then the TV volume control no longer has any effect.

The idea of Optical out is that the device you're ultimately connecting to converts the digital signal back to analogue, and then the volume is controllable without the same issues. If this was a soundbar, you'd have the soundbar remote. In the case of your BT transmitter and then the headphones, it's expected that the headphones have a volume control.

Another popular way of working is to use the TV's headphone socket. This would be controlled by the TV remote. Unfortunately, that specific TV doesn't have a headphone socket. Nor are there any other audio output sockets on the TV that can be controlled by the TV remote's volume buttons.

Alternative smart models with a headphone socket from the JLP site:

Sony Bravia KDL32WE613 - £249
Toshiba 32LL3A63DB - £199

At a quick glance the site doesn't go in to the detail of which smart apps are featured. What I can tell you is though that the Toshiba has Bluetooth built-in as well as the headphone socket. If it's not too late, you might want to ring JLP and check which apps are featured, and also whether the BT is an out for headphone use, and if so, does it allow volume control.

If this or any other reply was helpful to you, then please do the decent thing and click the T-H-A-N-K-S button. (That's the THANKS button, not the Like button, there's a difference) It appears when you hover the mouse pointer near the Quote Multi-quote buttons. It costs you nothing. This is the proper way to show your thanks for the time and help someone gave you.

Gotcha, thanks that makes sense, it's too late to cancel it but I'll reject it on the doorstep and get the Toshiba instead, will spend the saving on a fire stick if necessary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back