Smart Heating?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

so i'm working through the garage insulation at the moment, but i'll then be turning my head to the heating.

What I'd like to do, is have a thermometer in the room that connects to an app - and using a smart socket, be able to turn on or off the heater.

Ideally I'd like to be able to have the heater(s) maintain at least 14 degrees (or there abouts) just to keep things safe rather than freezing. Then, turn it all up as and when I want to go in there.

I use the garage to cycle (Zwift) and play piano (digital) but also make stuff and play darts. So I want to keep it at a decent temp to avoid damp, but also make it nice enough to sit in when I want to use it.

So. Any ideas on controllers?

I was thinking
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SwitchBot-...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
as thermometer,
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SwitchBot-...BMW3J6VQVB5&psc=1&refRID=99ME70RDPBMW3J6VQVB5
which requires this hub.. Now I don't know if it'll control my smart plugs though, which are Teckin.

So Requirements:
I want it all to talk to Alexa.
I want to be able to set rules i.e. if temp falls below 14deg turn on heater
I want to be able to control heaters manually, i.e. turn heating to 18deg.

This will more than likely require only one heater. I have a 2KW oil filled one which I intend to use but could swap to electric if better

thoughts?

Sponsored Links
For a short time, until oil fired fixed, I did use remote controlled sockets, however I never bothered using a thermometer, other than one built into the oil filled radiator.

What I found a problem was the make I used, only had three times per day. Now using oil fired and method to stop over shoot is to lift temperature 0.5°C per hour.

I have found people simply don't use all the features of many home automation devices, so they give incorrect info, my son sang the praises of Nest, and to be far Nest is good, but it does not connect to energenie in the way it should. I think your chances of finding anyone actually using all the features you want, is low.

Sponsored Links
Why should it connect ? A bit like connecting a Morris Minor engine to a Roll Royce gear box
It should because the advert said it should, I bought Nest after buying Energenie Mihome for many reasons, but one was because it was claimed to work with what I already.

Also Nest don't make there own TRV heads, if you buy Hive wall thermostat you can by Hive TRV heads to work with in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back