Smart gateway help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have a number of smart devices that don't need a gateway hub which i have successfully connected to Alexa.

I've bought an Aqara vibration sensor which i think i need a gateway hub for, both to get it working and also to link to Alexa. If i get an Aqara gateway hub will i be able to connect other makes of smart devices to it or do various makes require their own type of hub.

Also, is Zigbee a gateway hub or is it just an app?

Sponsored Links
Zigbee is a protocol. It runs at 2.4Ghz like wifi but at a much lower strength so that it can support battery operated devices. In most cases, all your devices form a mesh network so that each devices acts like a repeater back to the hub and each will contribute to the stability of the overall network. One device fails, the network just reroutes the traffic through the other devices. It also means that range isn't an issue.

You might want to look at Smartthings if you want to start to play with other devices. It will support load of different manufacturers and is really stable. I think I've got over 50 devices on mine now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back