Getting conflicting advice - Paining on Plaster!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am going to start painting soon on new plaster. I am getting conflicting advice on which solution I should use first to 'seal' the wall. Some say PVA mixed with water others say buy a cheap emulsion white paint and water it down?

The paint I will be using is 'palest blue' crown emulsion paint.

Is it best to use a solution on the walls first? If so, can someone please point out what I need to get (hopefully from b&q) and I can pick some up before I start painting.

Kind regards,
Richard

Sponsored Links
Richard.

Stay well clear of pva, and always use a thinned emulsion "mistcoat" on plaster skim. A matt emulsion is better for misting, get yourself some contract emulsion and thin with around 20 to 30% water, its cheap enough and does the job.

I always like to lightly sand new skim prior to misting to remove any shiny areas. But what ever you do, keep well away from pva.

Dec.

As TheDec says, NO, NO, NO to PVA, where does this advice come from :rolleyes: . A slightly different approach (but not much) from a spread; cheap own brand (B&Q is fine & I use it all the time) matt white emulsion thinned 25-30%, 2 to 3 coats in quick succession to keep the surface moist; overnight dry & then your chosen paint finish. Assuming your spread has done a decent job you won't need to fill/sand much but, providing your spread has not over polished the plaster, you should not need to sand at all. If you do, just a light buff up is all that’s necessary, any more & you will affect the texture & need more paint.

Cheers Guys,

So a cheap white matt emulsion mixed with 20/30% water, quick 1-2 coat on the walls, leave to dry and then the paint?

Are you able just to find a product (or give me the full name) on the b&q site please? I'll get it tomorrow then,

Kind regards,
Rich

Sponsored Links
Look for faults AFTER your mist coat. It's called a mist coat because you can see the bits the plasterer has missed. (only joking)

Are you able just to find a product (or give me the full name) on the b&q site please? I'll get it tomorrow then
It's just B&Q cheap & cheerfull matt white; just look for the big pile of tins with the sign on, they will be there in the paint section somewhere!

B&Q are expensive for trade paints so use any of their cheap (crap) emulsions and thin that slightly less than thedec suggested (given that it will be thinner than a proper trade paint to begin with).

I would rather go to a trade store and get Dulux trade matt emulsion as I can also use it for the ceilings later. if it is just for the mist coat then Leyland Matt emulsion is fine.

The finish you want will almost look washed out. The advantage of the thinned coat (other than sealing the walls) is that when you sand it the paint build up is so thin that you wont be left with ridges. Remember to apply the same thinned paint to any areas where you have filled or sanded through the paint.

Then when dry paint with your preferred finish.

B&Q are expensive for trade paints so use any of their cheap (crap) emulsions and thin that slightly less than thedec suggested (given that it will be thinner than a proper trade paint to begin with).
I would still advise you go with the 25-30%, even on the cheap stuff. I use gallons & gallons of this stuff all the time to wash coat all my new plaster jobs. It’s a wash coat to prime & show up any defects (but you shouldnt get many) & you’re not interested in colour, the whole point is to get the pigment sucked into the pores of the plaster. If you don’t thin the initial wash coats enough, it won’t stick. Use your quality finish (if that’s what you want) over the top after 24 hours. Slightly conflicting advice from a spread & the decos but I do know about plaster; at the end of the day, your decision OP.

Thanks for replies guys. I purchased 10l of cheap b&q branded stuff this morning and watered it down 20%. What kind of finish roller is it best to use?

Many thanks,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back