Getting mixed reviews on Planitherm and Pilkington K glass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to have several new upvc windows fitted, but don’t quite know what to make of the sealed unit reviews from the above two products. There seems to be an issue with the blue tint effect when sunlight hits at a certain angle.
Should I go for just plain clear glass sealed units from a local glass supplier or go for the Argon gas filled option that is available with the above units?
Specs 70mm frames housing 28mm sealed units.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately regs say you must fit low E glass in all new window replacements! Your main options are Saint Gobain and Pilkington as you've pointed out.

Do not confuse K with Planitherm though!

The blue tint only affects 'hard coat' (the technical term), this will be Pilkington K and also the Saint Gobain version called 'ecologic', both these are older technology and suffer from the blue haze

Both those glass companies now offer 'soft coat' , i.e. Pilkington KS and Saint Gobain Planitherm, still a low E glass with the metal coating but this time its invisible.

I refuse to fit K, I hate it and always without fail always spec Planitherm, in fact Planitherm total+

My votes for Planitherm too. Pilkington K is a bit of a con, It needs solar gain to meet modern thermal regulations (basically they made up a rule so they could still sell it)

Are your replies regarding Pilkington soft coat or hard? I heave been specified the soft coat with an option to use EGG at extra cost. I've searched the net and found lots of comparisons of Pilkington hard vs EGG soft but none soft vs soft.
Thanks HD

Sponsored Links
When is started in 2002, Pilkingotn K was the only product available.

Then Saint Gobain introduced soft coat, Planitherm total and nowadays it seems to have become the standard product.

Soft coat glass has a limited lifespan in its single sheet form and is very easily damaged, so it has required double glazing manufacturers to adjust their manufacturing techniques. (it has no issues once inside a unit).

DG makers dont have any issues with it these days, I almost never get any damaged units.

Im not convinced argon makes much difference, it certainly doesnt alter u value much. On the other hand it doesnt cost much.

Warm edge spacer is definitely worth having (and probably required to comply with u value).

Thanks Notch.

You say the total + has set the standard. In other words is this better than Pilkington soft coat?

I've made sure we're getting the Swiss spacers

Can somebody in the know please advise whether the Pilkington soft coat is inferior to the planitherm

Many thanks

Can somebody in the know please advise whether the Pilkington soft coat is inferior to the planitherm

Many thanks

My glazier says both soft coats have very similar specs.

I' ll ask him Mkn for more detail

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back