Getting quotes for a new combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm in the process of getting quotes to install a vaillant ecotec plus 837 to replace my old and knackered vcw 221H.

So far, I've had a (1st) guy quote me £1700 inc vat over the phone, and another (2nd) guy, who came round and looked at the job properly has quoted me £2000 inc vat. The 2nd guy has also said that he is paying (and charging) £950 +vat for the boiler, but if I can source it cheaper, he will happily install it. He's CORGI registered and subs out the electrics part of the job to a part P qualified spark.

I'm very tempted to go with the (more expensive) 2nd guy, as his approach seems more professional, so....

1. Am I doing the right thing?

2. Are the prices reasonable?

3. I've found VHSdirect doing this boiler for £866+vat, is there anywhere cheaper?

4. Is there anything I've missed/should be wary of?

5. Any additional advice?

Thanks for taking the time to read/reply,

Heggsy

Sponsored Links
It is always a good idea to engage someone in whom you have confidence

but

ask him to put you in touch with someone local he has recently done a simiar job for. You should try to get three and speak to them. Satisfy yourself that that are not his buddies pretending to be customers. if he has no satisfied customers, ask yourself why.

A warning about confidence - the people who inspire it most, are successful con-men. So always check.

Thanks John, some good advice there.

It's really difficult knowing who to trust, especially when you are new to the area.

The person who did the quote over the phone is most likely the con man. We have never quoted over the phone for a job, there could be problems with the flue, water supply, who knows?

The other chap sounds professional. I would let him buy the boiler though, that way the warranty rests with him and you will not be sending back dented and incomplete units in the post.

Most internet outlets hold no stock of boilers and have an arrangement with a wholesaler regarding remote despatch. Warranty returns of faulty or damaged boxes is therefore rather fraught.

Remember, you aren't buying a vacuum cleaner. Your fitter will have expended his time getting it on the wall full of water and gas with the flue cut before you know you have a faulty one.

Sponsored Links
I agree with quite a lot that THIS GUY has to say about the issue.

Not everything there is relevant to you as you are referring to a combi but it does get the idea across.
I think he's a bit out with his sums for item 6 but that doesn't apply to you anyway.

I agree with quite a lot that THIS GUY has to say about the issue.

Not everything there is relevant to you as you are referring to a combi but it does get the idea across.
I think he's a bit out with his sums for item 6 but that doesn't apply to you anyway.

So do I

he has it pretty much spot on

An Ecotech 837 plus, horizontal flue and digital programmer normally sells for about £1100 around Merseyside. If you buy the boiler yourself be prepared for lots of hassle if it is faulty or damaged. Best let the installer buy it , he'll sort it if there are any problems. As he's corgi registered you can have access to their complaints proceedure if anything goes badly wrong. The quotes sound fairly reasonable!:cool:

Make sure the price includes the flue

The £1100 price is spot on for boiler/flue/programmer

As said buying on internet can be more trouble than the little extra it costs for the installer to get it

If he supplies it ,its his hassle

The person who did the quote over the phone is most likely the con man. We have never quoted over the phone for a job, there could be problems with the flue, water supply, who knows?

I never go free to give quotes! Does that make me a con man?

I give a budgetary quote over the phone after asking a lot of questions. If thats acceptable then I go to visit to confirm the details.

Try Gas4you's web site for Vaillant boilers supplied and delivered to you.

Tony

You give a 'budgetary quote'. The OP said a 'quote'.

One is a formal offer the other is shooting to the wind. If it is a budgetary quote I am not suggesting it is a con.

We never make a formal offer without seeing the job, and my experience is that it is almost impossible to rely on a customer over the phone describing their job.

For a start, most are at pains to tell me 'how easy' the job will be.

Those are usually the ones with three builders skips outside, walls that 'will be knocked down' (er, when?), floors that 'can't be lifted' and rooms so chocka with personal chattels that you can't get the door open. They typically partially demolished their house 3 years ago and are rebuilding it in the hour a day when they get home from work. There will be a Screwfix catalogue on what serves as the kitchen table and the kitchen sink will be in the middle of the room propped up on an old table connected by temporary push fit.

It has been a long week.......

At £2000 inc vat I would bite his hand off :eek: I would be around £2100-2200 + VAT for a 937 and all the extras.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back