Getting the lawn back

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Should I rake out the brown strawy grass, thrown down top soil, tread on it then throw down grass seeds
20220911_171823.jpg
20220911_171828.jpg

Sponsored Links
Should I rake out the brown strawy grass, thrown down top soil, tread on it then throw down grass seeds
No No No you have to do it with love, it's gardening for Gods sake not pottery, Percy would be turning in his grave :cry:
The whole lawn needs digging out, new topsoil, level/tread it down then re turf or seed, i thought this is your niche, gardening, and here i am a simple bricklayer giving advice to a gardener on such a challenging project.

Just leave it alone apart from a good watering. Mine looked like that 3 weeks ago but with the recent downpours it is now recovering.
Give it a bit of time and see how it goes, once its recovering try some feed and weed.

Sponsored Links
Mine is just the same looks like a beach scene.

I plan to aerator with the metal blade scarifier to cut cuts in lawn not the wire type rake up and then leave until spring.

Then weed And Feed.

Should I rake out the brown strawy grass, thrown down top soil, tread on it then throw down grass seedsView attachment 279282View attachment 279281
Just leave it alone apart from a good watering. Mine looked like that 3 weeks ago but with the recent downpours it is now recovering.
Give it a bit of time and see how it goes, once its recovering try some feed and weed

Give it a bit of time and see how it goes, once its recovering try some feed and weed.

Never really used the weed and feed, heard if overused it'll kill the grass so avoided it. Which one do you use?

Evergreen 4 in 1. Needs to be used sparingly, less is more. It can look as if its killing the grass as it turns moss brown.

Spring and autumn for me, walk steadily and don't over cook the scattering. I use the spreader type container and then a refill. Or you could just use miracle grow I suppose or a general purpose fertilizer.

My lawn has a couple of corners against the paving that still need to green up and 1 spot where the daughters dog “watered” the lawn when we were dog sitting.

Endorse what Old Salt is saying. Just water it but don't overdo the water. Little and often is much more beneficial than a flood once a week.

If you have any bare patches then mix a few seeds with a handful of top soil, sprinkle it on and tamp down then give it a gentle water. Avoid walkingon the lawn as much as possible and try to use a sprinkler to save dragging a hose over it. I have been watering mine once early in the morning, again around lunch time then a final one early evening. Have your hose on the shower setting and move it fairly quickly from left to right then backwards going up and down. Move on to the next section and repeat. Your aim is to get the surface quite damp but not sopping wet. This will allow the water to penetrate the soil rather than run off the hardened surface. In a short time, (maybe a week to 10 days), with some sunshine your lawn will start to look more like its normal self.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back