ghost in my thermostat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:?: Recently, we had some hot humid days and I turned on the A/C in my house to cool it a little. Sometimes, such as night when we are sleeping, it appears when the A/C shuts off, it also shuts off power to most of my house. No breakers have popped, and at least one of the breakers is still getting normal power as my two back bedrooms and the exterior lights still work. No amount of resetting breakers causes the power to come back on. However, I accidentally discovered that dropping the temp on the thermostat to cause the A/C to kick on also causes the power to return. I had an electrician out to test everything and he checked the power lines from the utility company transformer all the way inside and couldn't find anything. He's as puzzled as I am. Has anybody had a similar problem and how were you able to fix it? :!:

Sponsored Links
breezer

as you are connected to diynot, tell me this.

why is there a forum for electrics outside the uk if you tell everybody to b**ger off elsewhere?

securespark said:
breezer

as you are connected to diynot

I am only connected the same way you are, i am a member just like you (except i have been here longer, and i have seen "regular" posters come and go)

securespark said:
why is there a forum for electrics outside the uk if you tell everybody to b**ger off elsewhere?

Also i do not tell ANYONE to B****r off, how ever, the post you are refering to, i did what i felt was necessary, I did not answer to the post imeadiately because i wanted to see if any one else had a better idea, but as they didn't (no one posted anything) i suggested to the poster they may like to try a more "local" site to them.

take this for another example, he wants two sockets and lights on the same cable, you know as well as i do you can not do that (without and fcu) but Americans do not seem to have Fcu's so i merely suggested he try an American diy forum, as they can Advise acordingly

Over here we can say connect the red to this, the black should be tagged with red tape etc, we can say this with cofidence, but American codes are as i am sure you will apreciate are totaly different than ours,and some states even have different colours than others, but the truth is we can not help the Americans as much as we would like to think we can, they have different "codes, etc" of which we have little / no knowledge.

(This is a general comment NOT directed at ANYONE: when Yankey sparkey tried to help he almost got short down in flames, no wonder he left)

It is a similar case with appliances (well it would be if i could find a dedicated Maytag diy site) i just ignore them, which must be frustrating to the Americans, but all i know about American appliances is their, washing m/c use mostly cold water, and they love toploaders, and oh never by a maytag appliance (juding from the number of problems they seem to have)

-------------------------------------------

Speak of the devil, i have just noticed this I will ignore that one too (only becasue i dont know anything about them)

Sponsored Links
"havent got a clue, this is a UK based forum may i suggest you try here"

So I repeat my question: Why bother with a Forum for other countries' electrics if DIY not is a UK-based forum with no hope of helping these people?

If it was the case that someone else could help, surely your post would have read "I don't know but someone else will come along who might."

Seems a bit backward to me.

securespark said:
If it was the case that someone else could help, surely your post would have read "I don't know but someone else will come along who might."

Fair comment, but the trouble is, no one here (yet) is qualified* to give a definative answer to an American regarding electrical diy.

Unfortunately when electrics out side the UK was suggested, this "problem" wasn't thought of

taken from "welcome to the forum"

Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 19:31 Post Subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to diynot team for changing the elctrics to U.K. Electrics, hopefully this will stop too much confusion

There were questions being posted regarding electrics from all over the world, people would give their replies, which then turned out to be of no use , as the poster would be in say, America, or Canada (as mentioned previously local codes etc) but they wouldn't say that when asking the question

Then the Outside uk electrics forum was born,but as i said no one here is trully qualified to answer (if you are please make your self Known, as i also mentioned Yankey sparkey, although not qualified knows more than us regarding American electrical)

Also I have been posting the reply "...........and please try XXXXX" for some time, but only after a few days if no one replies. My thinking is to let them know the post is being read, just that we do not know the correct answer (its better than ignoring them altogether)

In general, although there is as you said "no hope" of helping others from outside the uk regarding electrical, by having a "electrics out side the UK" forum it STOPS confusing questions, although i beleive that was not the origonal idea, i believe the DIYnot team were hoping some one like yankey sparkey would stay, (helping in Electrics out side the UK but alas he didnt

If you sit and watch these forums for as long as i have (sad i know) you get to "feel" what is happening,

Any one is free to submit any suggestions they like, that is why we have the car forums

paulh53

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 02:25 Post Subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How About a Car Maintenance Section, Maybe This Would Treble Your "Users"

and some one waved their magic wand and a car forum appeared

* by qualified i mean have it in writing, acording to the American requirements

Yes, where did Yanky Sparky go? It was always interesting to read his posts on US electrics, and the discussions that would ensue between us all on whether or not this was a superior method to the UK method. Generally ending in "at least we don't have outlets in bathrooms" :)

AdamW said:
Yes, where did Yanky Sparky go?
he went of his own accord, it does "take its toll" to stay on a forum, I personally liked the bloke who was ill in bed (he said so) answered a lot of questions in one day, (think he was gas, but not 100% sure) and never came back.

You will also notice that a lot of Americans "post and go", making one post, and thats it, best one of them had to be about the chimney, the post he replied to was over 2 years old

we also won't mention the one yesterday that posted, then just over an hour and a bit later posted again, wondering why there was not yet a reply

Sponsored Links
Back