Giving a plywood desk a gloss white look

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a home office and I want to build a full length desktop out of plywood, and ideally give it a nice flat gloss white look.

I'm unsure as to how I would go about doing this?

The office gets used daily (I work from home), so whatever I put onto the plywood has to be durable.

I have a small compressor, and wondered if painting it with automotive paint and 2k clear coat with give a good result? I have a machine polisher too which means I could sand and machine polish the surface to an almost flat look. However I have no idea if this is possible or if it will work. Maybe there are better alternatives.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, having had a look online, I kind of like the exposed edges, maybe clear varnish them and they would provide a nice contrast to the white.

I notice you can also get melamine covered MDF, for a 2.4m long desk, which would be better?

Sponsored Links
I don't mind as long as its white, I had looked at ikeas Linnmon table tops but I don't they're durable enough for constant use.

Bought daughter two Ikea desk/tables (Bekant, I think) about 10 years ago when she started University, they have been used and abused and survived a house move, they are still as good as they were when new. She and her husband are artists/graphic designers so the tables regularly get dog's abuse but they clean up really well.

Thanks, maybe I should go to ikea and see what they're like.

I have some office furniture at the moment that I've been using for about 6 years, something like this https://www.officefurnitureonline.c...nel-end-desks-with-single-fixed-pedestal.html and the covering over the wood is really durable, there's not a mark on any of the furniture even though it's been used 9-5 mon-fri for the last 6 years. I've had cheap argos furniture in the past, and it's just wood with some really thin covering over it, it wears away really quickly, but the furniture I have has a kind of plastic covering, no idea what it is. I'm looking for something this durable really, but I need it in around a length of 2400 x 700 to make one really long gloss white worktop.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back