GLASS HIPPED LANTERN - ORANGERY ROOF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are having an Orangery built and wondered if anyone has any comments on the make of glass aluminium roof to use. This room will be used 24/7 and is quite large some 5x4m roof will be approx 4.5x3.5m have looked at K2, Quantal and other makes, we do want this roof to last as it will become an integral part of our property. Can anyone give us any advice please. For your information the organgery is being built to architect spec by our own builder, we are not using a conservatory company.

Thankyou

Sponsored Links
We are having an Orangery built.................. Can anyone give us any advice please..................the organgery is being built to architect spec

I personally have never built an orangery and have understood them to bear similarities to a conservatory, i.e. lots of glass, poor heat retention etc.

If you don't mind my asking, what will you be using it for 24 hours a day 7 days a week?

it will be used as an extension to our living room and we are hoping to use it as a casual entertaining area.

Sponsored Links
An orangery could be a conservatory with a back wall :idea: One place I worked in had one aprox 80 foot long x 20 wide x 2 storeys high. attached to a Gerorian mansion.....THAT was an Orangery :LOL:

Yes - ours will have three solid walls with just the front facing wall being glass windows/doors and the glass roof. Anyhow what I was really interested in knowing is there appears to be 2 types of hipped lantern, one which is aluminium with plastic cappings, i.e. K2, Quantal and the other type which is completely aluminium, i.e. ABD and Halls they of course are 30% dearer. Can anyone tell me what the benefits are of the fully aluminium type, does anyone have any first hand knowledge of fitting both sorts?

Why don't you ask your architect? And why are you quibbling about price?

It depends on how long you want it to last. ? think about it , you do not see many office buildings with plastic glazing bars for a reason of longevity. plastic can and will become brittle over a long period of time if exposed to UV radiation. powder coated aluminium will last forever.

go for the best you can

Nick

What is the London Gherkin made of :?: Apart from the fact that every tv producer is in love with it as a backdrop :rolleyes: It must have a longlife treatment to those exposed struts

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back