Glasses/Spectacles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just experienced the most scary 48hrs of my life.

On saturday night, I got (by by own admission) more drunk than I've been in a very long time. It was a bit of a reunion of friends from college, "the class of 1998", gathered at my best friends house here in brighton. Much drinking was done, and when 90% of the assembled crowd had crashed out, I decided that it would be a good idea for the remaining half dozen of us to head to the beach....

My memory from this point onwards is very hazy indeed, but I think I fell head first into the pebbles, and smashed my glasses, then in my efforts stumbling around to find them, trod on them and rendered any chance of their recovery doomed.

Still in good spirits at this point (as you are when inebriated), I continued the evening, said my goodbyes, and stumbled home.

The panic set in the following morning... as ever, I woke up blind (this is not unusual), reached for my specs and they weren't there (this IS unusual)... and here began the "OH F*CK" monent that was to last nearly 48hrs!

Don't ever break your glasses on a bank holiday!

Now, I normally get my specs from Specsavers. And they do 2 pairs for the price of one. Foolishly, the last time I broke a pair, back in grantham, I didn't think to replace them, so I was down to one.

I guess my point is: if you wear glasses, and you know what your prescription is, GO NOW and get a spare pair, because I had to go to Vision Express today and it cost me £350, where if I wasn't in such a hurry specsavers would have charged me less than £200. I'm also not convinced that I have the right prescription, because after a day of squinting around, I don't think my eyes gave the right results in the eyesight test. I may have to go back in a few days...

Sponsored Links
Well you will go round making a spectacle of yourself ;)

Well I lost a contact lense on Skeggy beach in the dark when I was drunk and still found it :p

Ninebob, aint you considered having your eyes lasered :?: I wore lenses for 20+ years but had my eyes zapped 4 years ago

No more looking for the lenses behind the setee, taking them out to go swimming, :D its bliss

:confused: what had you done with your old specs, the ones before you bought your most recent pair? They would probably have been adequate to see you through until you could visit your usual optician.

I alwys keep a spare pair in the car, as well, in case I should damage a pair and be unfit to drive home

Sponsored Links
As long as you didn't get into the drivers seat of a car ninebob, I think getting a bit sloshed is ok every once in a while! :eek:

I know what you mean ninebob, I dont think my eyes quite gave the right results on the day of the eye test. My old glasses had gotten too strong for me, so I couldnt see road signs etc at a distance. Glasses off - fine! But not short sight work - reading etc.

So my eyes have improved, but I dont think these lenses he prescribed are weak enough!!! I can still take them off while driving and see better than with them. :( Unless in the time being, my eyes have improved yet more!

£350 :eek: Ouch. You been done over! My spectacles were £200 from boots, and I got a pair of prescription shades free :D

Steve said:
As long as you didn't get into the drivers seat of a car ninebob, I think getting a bit sloshed is ok every once in a while! :eek:

I know what you mean ninebob, I dont think my eyes quite gave the right results on the day of the eye test. My old glasses had gotten too strong for me, so I couldnt see road signs etc at a distance. Glasses off - fine! But not short sight work - reading etc.

So my eyes have improved, but I dont think these lenses he prescribed are weak enough!!! I can still take them off while driving and see better than with them. :( Unless in the time being, my eyes have improved yet more!

£350 :eek: Ouch. You been done over! My spectacles were £200 from boots, and I got a pair of prescription shades free :D

dont you get free perscriptions at your age? :LOL:

But he doesn't want to end up looking like the milky bar kid.

Oh dear he does look like him :LOL:

poshman said:
Well I lost a contact lense on Skeggy beach in the dark when I was drunk and still found it :p

Ninebob, aint you considered having your eyes lasered :?: I wore lenses for 20+ years but had my eyes zapped 4 years ago

No more looking for the lenses behind the setee, taking them out to go swimming, :D its bliss

I lost an eye ball feeding the seagulls at the beech stupid bird i hope it chokes on it.

£350 :eek: I get two pairs for £30, then again my sis is an optician!!

I like the idea but I've met a number of Eye surgeons (mostly European) who've some over to study at Moorfields. They all wear glasses

because they know that laser occasionally makes you worse than you started :(

Ah thanks John, that's interesting, I have friend who had it done, very pleased with it but as you says we don't know about long term problem.

It's not a permanent fix either, so you'll probably end up wearing spec's anyhow.

Personally I think one's are are too precious to mess about with. Glasses inconvienient yes, but I still don't fancy the alternative. As said my sister who is an opthalmologist doesn't recommend it.

Sponsored Links
Back