Glavanized steel pipe to copper adaptor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I need to convert an old cast iron galvanised pipe to copper, on the incoming water mains.
I may be able to dig down and find the last thread underground to connect to. As this could be difficult due to space, I may need to fit an adaptor to the steel pipe, cut just above ground. I seem to remember a compression fit, is this correct?
I've read that care must be taken when connecting two different metals, does the apadtor allow for this?
Cheers, Camerart.

Sponsored Links
I have never to do anything other than use an existing screwed connector on a steel pipe.

If fact I am not aware of any connector designed specifically for that purpose but someone may know of one.

Many "O" ring connectors could probably be made to fit but might be a bit of a bodge if not specifically designed for that use.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hi,
The Philmac looks ok, but it shows plastic to copper. I've asked them to clarify it they will connect Steel to copper. Would a building inspector pass them?
C.

They have stopped testing us on long screws now!

Hi,
Fitted and working ok. I would recommend them.

I would also recommend measuring the pipes correctly. Having turned off the water in the street, so both me and my neighbour were OFF. I found I had the max 27mm version and my pipe is 28mm:(. I managed to open it up enough to fit (I'm sure it's not now guaranteed!!)and fit itwith difficulty (phew).
C.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back