Glazing sealant/silicone and what to do when windows need a repaint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm in the process of giving my windows a once over. I've sanded and removed all the existing glazing sealant/silicone and will soon start on the painting.

I was planning to finish off with Dow Corning for the glazing sealant as this seems to be a common and well regarded choice. But then I got to thinking (I've had plenty of time to do that whilst up the ladder!!!).....

When the time comes in a few years for another paint job, I'll likely have to remove the Dow Corning - ESPECIALLY if I change colour, because the DC is not overpaintable, and there will be some of the paint beneath the clear sealant/silicone.

So my question is.... Is this just one of those things? Or do people with more experience/professionals have a way around this? Should sealant/silicone always be removed as part of a paint job? Are there techniques involved that would help avoid having to do that? Or is it best to use an overpaintable product?

These are the kinds of questions going around upstairs and I would love to hear what you guys think.

Many thanks

Max

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back