Gledhill Boilermate II

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a boilermate II linked to a potterton Suprima boiler. The heat exchanger in the potterton went and the full system was drained to change the heat exchanger. Everything went fine till I tried to refill the system when it would not fill. Had to eventually fill the radiators back through the drain tap. Anyone have any idea why the boiler mate will not fill through the header tank. Have tried everything re air locks etc that I can think of but to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Boilermate is a thermal store.

Header tank only feeds thermal store below.

Primary heating circuit from boiler to thermal store is indirect.

i.e. when you drained boiler/rads, you did not drain thermal store or its header tank.

Assuming a sealed system, you will have a filling loop, pressure guage and expansion vessel somewhere on your primary heating circuit.

Boilermate is a thermal store.
Yup
Header tank only feeds thermal store below
Quite sure about that?
Last one I looked at definitely had store, rads and boiler all in the same circuit, sith a built-in F&E. Schematic on Gledhill website for Boilermate 2000 shows nothing changed from that, except that F&E is now separated physically.

Apologies - you are correct.

I was thinking of SysteMate II.

Sponsored Links
Did you manually open any motorised valves on / near the heatstore?
Was the system COMPLETELY drained before you started to refill and did you vent the rads starting at the bottom of the house?
Or was it that you re-opened the cold feed to the F&E tank and it just filled the tank and nothing else happened at all? If so, the (rather small-bore) pipe linking the F&E and the heatstore might be partly blocked.....

and did you remember to add corrosion inhibitor as recommended by Gledhill?

had similar problem on baxi powermax to cure this gain acess to f@e tank remove cold feed and connect to mains on 2 ball valve temporary using filling loop flex and 2 ballofix vavles, then open mains + cold feed valves to fill system when water comes out from expansion pipe stop and re connect pipework, may also have blockage on cold feed

Be VERY careful with any suggestion involving possible mains pressure into heatstore - it ain't rated to withstand more than 30 foot head (ie. 1 Bar).

while filling system listen to the air coming from the expansion pipe going into the f@e tank also fill slowly if no air is felt the ex pipe may be blocked

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back