Can't refill a Boilermate II

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I drained down my central heating system to fit thermostatic valves on all of the radiators. When I came to refill the system via the Boilermate II thermal store I had great difficulty. There is water in the fill/expansion tank but none in the main body of the thermal store itself. I eventually managed to fill the downstairs radiators but can't fill the upstairs ones or the tank. Any suggestions please?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the cold feed is blocked.........A near on impossiblity to unblock on a Boilermate II.

I have in the past cut a hole in the header tank and using a 22mm tank connector run a 22mm pipe. Removed the drain off from the cylinder and connected the new pipe into this connector using a tee with a drain off on. This restores a cold feed to the cylinder in 22mm thats not likely to block and can easily be unblocked if it does.

Id also recommend at least 4-5 litres of inhibitor when filling back up.

Might be worth a try to fill it from a drain cock?

I have exactly the same. Yesterday system was drained to attempt repair to boiler. On trying to fill back up overhead (filler/expansion) tank is full of "silt" which has seeped into (and blocked) cold feed to main unit .

Harrogate Gas - how much would a job like the one you describe cost ? - just wondering if I can get my Boilermate workable again ????

Sponsored Links
HarrogateGas said:
Sounds like the cold feed is blocked.........A near on impossiblity to unblock on a Boilermate II.

I have in the past cut a hole in the header tank and using a 22mm tank connector run a 22mm pipe. Removed the drain off from the cylinder and connected the new pipe into this connector using a tee with a drain off on. This restores a cold feed to the cylinder in 22mm thats not likely to block and can easily be unblocked if it does.

Id also recommend at least 4-5 litres of inhibitor when filling back up.

I would also fit a Magnaclean filter on the CH return pipe to the Boilermate. Essential I would say.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back