Gledhill slimline Unvented cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I has this cylinder fitted a year ago in a flat with economy 7 heating on the tank. The tenant phoned me up today and it appears water has been coming out of the pressure relief valve, and as a result where it drains into 1 1.5 waste pipe, this has warped due to the heat of the discharge water. The water coming out of the taps is vey hot. Any idea please what could cause the water to come out of the pressure relief valve? Thanks

Sponsored Links
your cylinder has a TPRV (temperature and pressure releif valve) it sounds as though your thermostat is faulty and over heating the water and the TPRV is doing its job

I realise the thermostat may not be expensive, but the waste pipework is behind the cylinder and the cylinder would need to be drained down to access it, would the manufacturer carry out the repair?

Sponsored Links
The thermostat should be accessible it is inside the immersion heater it might be under warranty I dont know what warranty you got ?

Turn the immersion heater(s) to the cylinder off right away, and remove the fuses so that they cannot be turned on again without deliberate action.

These cylinders can only legally be fitted by someone with a G3 (Buildings regulations, part G, section 3) qualification. The pipework to discharge the high temperature water from the TPRV valve is best (in my opinion) run in copper, although certain types of plastic pipe (high temperature, not solvent weld) are allowed.

Lastly, you may find the heaters / thermostats rather more expensive than you expect. Not sure about the Gledhill but most are specific to the manufacturer and priced accordingly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back