gloss on gloss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have read several postings that say you should always rub down gloss wood work, sugar soap clean and then undercoat before glossing again..my question is....i can understand the rubbing down and sugar soaping, but why undercoat fist if the old gloss is sound....you don't rub down etc between fresh gloss coats, so why undercoat first?

Sponsored Links
Why do any of that? Rub down until it is smooth, dust off and gloss. Your previous coat IS your undercoat. Only if you are changing colour drastically will you need do otherwise. Sugar soap causes more problems than it solves.
If you think your surface is greasy - clean with white spirit.

There are certain situations where you can apply gloss on gloss, yet when a fresh gloss paint is applied over an existing one there is chance that your gloss will craze. If your existing paintwork is in good condition using warm water and a squirt of detergent lightly sand with 400 grit wet wipe clean and allow to dry and give it one coat of Crown Solo.

Dec

Sponsored Links
Did somebody mention Crown Solo self undercoating gloss then?

The gloss that you can use if your existing paintwork is in good condition, using warm water and a squirt of detergent, then lightly sanding with 400 grit wet, wiping clean and allowing to dry and giving it one coat of Crown Solo.

:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back