Painting a wooden house, have I a chance as a women.?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a swedish complete wooden house that is painted magnolia, I am going to paint it this year, do I need to rub the old paint down thsn sugar-soap it, then put on undercoat and then the magnolia gloss ?
What is the best paint please, and the cheapest place to get it please.
Nikki

Sponsored Links
Nikki.

If the paintwork is heavily soiled you really should wash it first, a mild detergent would be fine for this. If the paintwork is fresh and clean you could forget the washing and just abrade and dust off.

With regard to your paint system I would be of the opinion that the Sandtex 365 system would perhaps be the best, yet in all honesty any trade quality paint would be fine.

Take a look at such paints as Dulux, Leyland, Permoglaze, or Mcphersons. any of those will give you good results. As for the cheapest place you will need to shop around in order to get the best price.

Dec.

you could sand it first then wash it off, saves washing it twice.

Sponsored Links
If the condition of the existing surface is clean & without any pollution grime, Id say it would be ok to sand then wash then paint. Ive always found it to be good practice to wash first with sugar soap, sand and dust off well, prime any bare areas with a good quality primer, lightly sand these areas, then wash again before undercoating. Washing bare timber can lead to feathering of the timber fibres which will show up in following coats. A very light sand & a wipe with a damp rag between each coat will give you a trade quality finish that will last for many years. The secret to a good paint job is 90% in the prep work.......patience & a little commonsense goes a long way!!!!!
I think women sometimes tend to have more of both these attributes, so I doubt you will have any problems. Good luck!

All well and good but I wouldn`t let my Mrs. paint my Dunny - let alone the house :mrgreen:

I have a swedish complete wooden house that is painted magnolia......gloss ?
Nikki

Forgive me being stupid but I haven't worked out whether you're talking about painting inside or out.

If you're talking about outside then you definitely need exterior grade gloss. A flexible exterior paint is essential because the paint's temperature soars during the summer months and interior gloss will crack and degrade in half the time. Personally I wouldn't use anything other than the "Dulux Trade Weathershield Exterior" system. Unfortunately if you want Magnolia you're going to have to pay for the colour making up which is 50% more than the standard Brilliant White. Your main problem is judging the quantity because it's much cheaper to have 1x 5L made up than a second 2.5L when you get it wrong.

If you're going to be rubbing down gloss, then don't scrimp. Get yourself plenty of high quality aluminium oxide abrasive such as this:
http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/m/MIRHF/

The main problem with exterior painting is access. You've got to be happy working up ladders or else forget it. By the time you've hired platforms etc, you may just as well have paid someone experienced to do the job. (I'm assuming "house" in England English means your property isn't a bungalow)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back