Do we need to paint ceilings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have bought a house, and every room is magnolia. We want to paint the rooms in blue, grey and off white colours. All the ceiling are painted white. Is it best to paint the ceilings as well when we are doing the walls, or can we just leave them? They have a swirl effect, so if we did paint them can we just paint over this? Total novices here!
Also, I was wondering if we will need to use an undercoat to paint over the magnolia? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
If the ceilings look ok, no need to paint them.

Some artex in newer houses don't get painted, but can look grotty after some years.

If you are inexperienced at decorating, it may be a good idea to paint the ceilings.

Reason being, if you paint then ceiling, then accidently get some of the wall paint on the ceiling, then at least you can touch up the ceiling without a difference in colour. :idea:

You don't use undercoat as such on walls, just ordinary emulsion. Matt emulsion is usual at the moment, as it can look naff with a shiny silk finish.

Sometimes when you paint the walls, you realise how much the ceiling is discoloured, even when it didn't look it to begin with. I always paint the ceiling just to make sure the whole room is even & freshly painted :)

Same as Blightymam, I always quote for painting the ceilings for customers,
(Two coats , missed patches look dreadful.)

There is nothing worse than a nice pristene decorated room with a grotty looking ceiling .

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies. I guess we better think about painting the ceiling then, as I definitely don't want it to look grotty in comparison to the walls.

Is it pretty straightforward to paint a ceiling that is textured, or is a special technique needed?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back