Painting the House

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

we have just had the rented house re done up. ie all new plaster, new coving, new wood skirting and wood doors can anyone give us some tips on painting the house, i have been reading that the walls should be painted with white paint first, does this have to paint thinned down or not. i read that the first paint of white should be thinned downed 50% and then the next 30%, but its the 1st time we are doing this on the whole house so we are not sure.

we are also after some cheap paint that will look good but not too expensive, (no dulux)it cost us much more than expected to sort the house so we are on a tight budget, we are looking to buy in bulk and paint the whole house the same colour, its not worth painting different colours as it costs more.

also can anyone recommed any cool colour, we are thinking of magnolia or anything close to this colour. also anyone have any colours that might go on the coving if the walls are magnolia. the doors and skirting will prob be varnished as well as the skirting.

so all in all i am after the following advice,

ways to paint newly plastered walls.
cheap paint.
and colours for bits and peices in the house, mainly coving

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Hi Ifti,

For the first (mist) coat, it doesn't have to be white, it can be ay colour you choose. White's usually used because it's cheap. Try not to use a silk or vinyl emulsion for the first coat though, it won't be absorbed too well by the plaster.

I assume you're painting all your ceilings white? Personally I'd do the coving the same as the ceiling.

As for colour, magnolia doesn't really float my boat but it is the norm for rented accommodation.

To be honest, I wouldn't know what cheap paint to recommend. In my experience, buying budget is by and large a false economy.

Regards

Fred

hi, you only need to mist coat once, don`t water down your paint a second time

please stay away from cheap paint, you will end up applying 3-4 coats , use dulux trade paint. cheap paint has less pigmentation,

get good brushes, don't buy the pack of 5 for £2 ones, harris, hamilton, or purdy brushes are good makes.

if you are using a wter base paint , use a synthetic brush, and oil based paint use a bristle brush.

Sponsored Links
davellew69 said:
hi, you only need to mist coat once, don`t water down your paint a second time

please stay away from cheap paint, you will end up applying 3-4 coats , use dulux trade paint. cheap paint has less pigmentation,

get good brushes, don't buy the pack of 5 for £2 ones, harris, hamilton, or purdy brushes are good makes.

if you are using a wter base paint , use a synthetic brush, and oil based paint use a bristle brush.

Well said. I'd agree with what davellew69! Buying cheap paint is a waste of time in the long run as you'll have to use more to get the same coverage as trade paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back