Removed border - paint has come with it - HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

My spare room is painted magnolia with a nursery themed border. I have just removed the border with the intention of then painting the whole room a new colour, but the layer of paint has come off with the border, leaving the plaster underneath.

The plaster is fine, good quality and none has come off with the paint and border but now I am left with:

Top half of room : MAGNOLIA PAINT
Middle: BARE PLASTER
bottom half of room: MAGNOLIA paint.

How should I go about painting over this? Would it be a good idea to do a base coat over the whole thing first, or just over the plaster bit first?

This is my first house and first DIY problem so any help very appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Always a problem..you wont be the last person its happens to either and your certainly not the first..

Scrape off any loose bits then give the wall area thats affected a thinned coat of emulsion first and allow to dry...this will stop the moisture from the filler soaking in too quick giving you more time and will stop the filler possible falling out.

Then get yourself some easi-fil from B and Q and a wide bladed filling knife or caulking tool and fill over it...dont try and do it in one go...youl end up with laods of rubbing down...build it up in layers

Rub it down with 100 grade abrasive paper, dust it over, then give the filled bit a couple of coats of slightly thinned emulsion (15%) use a radiator roller...this will put the 'orange peel' effect back on the surface...then paint the rest of the walls as you fancy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back