Gloss paint drying flakey.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm painting doors and door frames that already have gloss on them from years ago. The surfaces are sound and I sanded down the few parts that were not.

When it dries a lot of it is flakey and falls off when I rub my finger along it.

I'm using Dulux Quick Dry Gloss. Because the surface is sound I thought I wouldn't have to use any undercoating, am I wrong?

The brush I'm using is quite soft and seems to give a smooth coating but with a small amount of lines visible when the gloss paint is still wet. Maybe it should be softer still?

What else could be causing this?

I'm not an experienced painter so any suggestions however obvious they seem are very welcome.

Thanks for your help :)

Sponsored Links
It sounds like that at some time in the past the previous owner has used some kind of multi-surface polish. (Mr Sheen)

You need to sand off the surface completely and then wipe down with white spirit.

It turns out there is a problem with the paint, I phoned dulux and they said this paint should have been taken off the shelves in shops.

Sponsored Links
When that happens they will usually sort it all out for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back