Help! Gloss paint all going wrong . . .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just applied second coat of gloss paint to one area and first coat to another: and the paint has immediately developed small dimples all over the surface ~ like orange peel. What has caused this? What will correct it? New brush used, dulux gloss paint used, surfaces clean and dry, second coat applied over first coat, first coat applied over undercoat/primer. Have been glossing for years and not met this problem before. Help!!! Daren't do any more until advice received !!!

Sponsored Links
sounds like you havn't allowed enough drying time

best to leave around 12-16 hrs between coats with oil based these days in some cases its 24

It's been a week since I applied the first coat of gloss, and in the case of the undercoat/primer, 10 days, so I think they must both have been dry ... and the paintbrush is new, fresh out of it's pack so that was dry too ... help!!!

Sponsored Links
As you describe it as orange peel this is a defect i would associate more with a roller pattern or when applying with spray. Shrivelling and cratering and cissing are more common with brush applied coatings. All i can think of is its cissing due to surface contamination which is viable as its been a while between coats. Wipe the surface over with some meths on a rag not too heavily just a light rub. That said i'm presuming you dusted off before painting and its not bittiness on the surface or from the paint tin.

The other thing is its important to stir your paint thoroughly as binders and pigment will separate in the tin. This can cause a sort of fish eye effect on application

If none of the above makes any sense and nobody else has any ideas ring dulux as they do occasionally produce faulty batches of paint and i'm presuming you havn't pulled twenty year old paint out the back of your shed.

Thank you, thank you !!! Have googled cissing and that's exactly what it looks like ... despite sanding and wiping down, obviously surfaces have become contaminated and I'll do more sanding & wipe with meths. It was a brand new tin of paint. Have not met this before & very much appreciate your comments. And there was me thinking I was a competent DIY painter & decorator . . !

No problem, glad to be of help, we all get stuck from time to time whatever our level of competence

Many of those hard surface type polishes contain silicone.

Even after rubbing down surfaces can still have forms of grease on them, Polish, finger grease etc. A good sugar soaping, wiping with turps or meths can usually get rid of any residue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back