Help, bubbling gloss

and how can a paint be warranted for 6 years without a primer to stop resins bleeding through the coating?

Sponsored Links
They are saying I should use Basecoa t preservtive primer with fungicide, not AWP as the latter nuliffies the weather shield 6 year guarantee. I used the preservative primer initially which took about 5 days to dry, then wrong undercoat and then WS gloss.

I didn't put the basecoaton again when I stripped door down, but did apply AWP x 2 and WS undercoat x 2 then gloss and it bubbled again. I am actually applying it in the conservatory and I believe the temprature in there is not above 10 degrees so that could be a factor. Then door is brand new out of the packet so I doubt it has experienced anything adverse.

I can't answer your question about quality of product between trade and DIY its just what Dulux told me. But I will say thank you for all the advice you have given me dcdec, much appreciated.

I think Dulux are talking out of their arse and trying to blame you for their inferior products. 6 year warranty is a laugh anyway, i wouldn't trust their stuff for more than about 3-4 years.

Can't help but wonder how a base coat protects against fungicides when it has 3-4 coats of paints on top of it. Any how, feel you're pain, might be worth one more try if you can find somewhere warm and dry, i think you're problem is a mixture between low temperature during application and previous coat not being dry enough. You could try a drop (literally) of terebine driers

Have you stirred the paint too much? if you have why dont you try leavng it for 5 minutes?

Because i had this same problem when i used gloss, but then i just ended up buying a different brand of paint. I used 'TA Paints' gloss. Their paint worked very well for me.

Let me know if this helped :)

Sponsored Links
Definitely do NOT use Dulux Weathershield Primer + BP on any hard woods and it probably isn’t that good on any resinous woods such as pines.

I have just applied this treatment to a new solid oak door and am now in the process of sanding it off. The result after application was uneven streaky and it would not dry about half way through the job the brush began to gain a blue mass of precipitated “glue” probably the Acrylic, PVC or PVA base and the half of the door already done was beginning to streak and turn a milky, hazy, blue colour.

Removing this dreadful rubbish from the door will cost me about £10.00 in Festool sand paper and at lease a good days work if not more because the primer just gums up the paper rendering it useless as the primer just will not dry.

I called Dulux technical support and found out that their information sheet was “supposed’ to (sic) contain information on “deep” cleaning hard wood surfaces using Methylated Spirits (it contains no such information). Be Warned, Dulux Weathershield Primer + BP is NOT compatible with the oils and resins in hard woods.

Deep cleaning of any wood to extract its oils is pure rubbish, it just cannot be done because, over time and with exposure to heat from the sun and warm weather the oils wiped off the surface of the wood will just move from deeper in the wood towards the surface. Over time using Dulux Weathershield Primer+ BP will cause the paint finish to fail.

This is a water based preparation and is part of a three step Dulux Trade Weathershield system. Using a water based primer as a substrate under oil based undercoats and oil based top coats is never a good idea and Will cause early failure of the top layers of paint.

The water based primer is a different structure to the over laying oil based top coats and one of the most obvious problems will be different expansion and contraction rates that will cause the surface layers to fail. Simiply put adhesion to the primer will break down over time causing anything from cracking and peeling within a year or two to uneven drying and curing of the paint due to residual moisture in corners and joins.

I will NOT be using any Dulux exterior products from this time forwards as their composition across the range appears similar and there seems to be little quality control. There is also a blinding a lack of knowledge in their technical support department.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back