Glossy & matt floor tiles mixed need to make shine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK partly my fault, bought 20mtr of Ceramic 33 x 33 Beige floor tiles from Homebase, didnt properly check they were all the same date code.

Tiler came in and laid 5mtr, really nice and shiney. Later he came back and laid another 13mtr and didnt notice that half of the boxes were a matt finish so I now have Patches of tiles that are matt in amongst the glossy ones.

Apart from ripping it all back up again, I can only think that applying either some sort of sealer or shine may bring the balance back.

B&Q have some tile shine @ £12 for a little bottle & Homebase also sell one but I really dont want to try anything without advice first.

Sponsored Links
It won't work I'm afraid. You gotta rip them up and do it again.

tile fixer should have noticed this....straight away!!!

was on earlier, but to be honest thought this was a wind up... ;)

No wind up and he managed to lay 69 wrong uns in amongst the good ones so had plenty of time to figure it out.
H left me to clear the grout off the tiles "as it was getting late" and took his money and ran.
Wasnt till wife and I were on our knees cleaning them that we found the problem, the matt ones have a course surface too so that should have told him something even if his eyes were not working.

As I say partly my fault for not checking every box before hand, but 30 something pro tiler should not have let me get in such a pickle.

So nothing I can do then? Adding a coating to the matt ones, or all of them wont get an acceptable gloss or even semi gloss overall?

Sponsored Links
oldman2

post up some pics.
then we will take it from there bud..

p.s. that wasn"t a tile fixer with years under his belt that fixed them..

oldmam2...
sittin ere listening to good music... :LOL:

anyway i have to agreeeeeee :LOL: with joe-90.....all tho he luves uniBOMB... :LOL: :LOL:

Not easy to get close up pics of the difference but here goes.

The matt ones show well in this pic

View media item 20820
View media item 20819
This will be the dining area, the kitchen to the right has been tiled in the shiney ones and is fine.

Replacing the matt tiles in the dining area could be a problem as all the later batches of this tile I have seen have the matt finish.
I can only wait and keep looking in Homebase stores to see if further batches are glossy.

It won't work mate.You'll end up chipping the good tiles getting the bad tiles up.
Either live with it or start again. Oh and all the adhesive will be getting harder the longer you wait.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back