Glow Plugs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
last week we had heavy frost,i hadnt used my van for a few days,normally it starts right away but it took a few turns over to start it also it started and stopped a couple of times then ran normally,the weather has been a lot milder this week and my van is staring up right away and running smoothly
from cold.
Do you think my glow plugs are faulty,whats the best way to check them?
My van is a Ford Courier 1.8 TD DI
Thanking you
Tom

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it .
To check them they will have to be disconnected from the circuit. With a lead from the positive terminal (+) tip the terminal on each plug. Fit a fuse to the lead to protest against a short if you accidentally tip the steel bodywork/engine. As you tip the terminal on the plug you should see a spark, if you don't it needs replacing. Don't leave them connected for any length of time as they are low voltage (7-8 volts approx)

I think this is your engine, if you disconnect the battery, if the radio is coded you will need the code on reconnection.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXSa-V4qYTk

Hope this helps

Hi Mursal,
thanks for reply regarding my poor cold start,i will check my plugs out in the next day or two,when i think about it if there is no flash the circuit is not complete therefore the plug is not working,
Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction and a simple test
tom

A quick way tp check is to connect a voltmeter between any glow plug and earth, switch the ignition to the glow plug position and check the voltage, you should have 10-11 volts for about 15 seconds, much more than that and you have one or more failed glow plugs.

Peter

Sponsored Links
Hopefully you will find a handy one gone, to check the warlord ones behind the pump, place a screwdriver on the terminal of the plug and tip the wire off the shaft of the driver. Just keep the screwdriver from hitting the steelwork while testing.

Get the engine hot before you attempt removal, not as easy as it looks. Always the danger of leaving a bit of the plug in the head.

Good luck

Yes i should imagine the plugs could be difficult to get out,they wont have been out for a year or two!
If any are US i will replace all 4.
Thanks for the info its very much appreciated
Safe driving
Tom

Back