Glow worm boiler makes a noise like a washing machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help, ideas needed: Our Glow Worm 18hxi has recently been serviced and for the last week or two it has started making a strange noise from time to time. The noise is best described like a washing machine turning over slowly, a sort of low whrrrr....whrrrrr....whrrrr, cycling sound. It make this noise when the heating and hot water are actually OFF, and stops and starts the sequence of noises for about 10 to 15 minutes every one or two hours, all day and night. I tried to read pressure but it comes up on display as 8.8 bar - I doubt true and not very helpful (it should be 0.7 to 1.5 I think). I have searched the internet, nothing definite but it might be:
1. Air in the system; suggested solution = turn heating on and hot water on of on off on off etc, then bleed radiator valves.
2. Dirt in system, especially near something important; suggested solution = have system flushed.
3. PCB failed/failing; suggested solution = phone glow worm and tell them little and take the fixed price repair.
Any thoughts out there? I will have to leave it until next week anyway now.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back