Glow-worm Combi making loud banging noise!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mother-in-laws Glow-worm combi has starting making an awful banging noise. Apparently it started about 5 years ago and successive yearly services by a couple of heating engineers has never come up with a fix. One suggested a pipework problem somewhere. In the last year it has become more violent and frequent.

My wife was there this week and heard it for the first time and was horrified saying the actual casing was shaking!! She was using hot water but the mother-in-law said it also happens on heating.

My wife was using the hot water tap but the noise started as soon as she opened the tap and stopped when she turned it off. The water appeared to be hot as soon as she opened the tap.

The boiler is about 15 years old. The system has never been drained down over the years.

Any ideas what might be the problem?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
what is the pressure guage reading when the CH has been on for a while

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sorry, I've not been up to look at it but have to assume that the loop water pressure is high enough to allow the CH to work.

No, there are no leaking taps.

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
Sorry, I've not been up to look at it but have to assume that the loop water pressure is high enough to allow the CH to work.

No, there are no leaking taps.
We are more interested if it is too high, not too low

Mother-in-law had the Heating Engineer visit to service it today and he thinks it’s the main heat exchanger which is scaled up and causing the banging. He said a replacement would be around £500 but he doesn’t think the old 38CXI fitted circa 2005 is worth spending the money on.

A replacement is going to be towards £2000.

What would you do?

He didn’t offer that solution. Is it possible? Would a de-rocking solution do the trick.

fernox and sentinell sell the proper solutions, best way is to close the isolation valves ,partially drain the heat exchanger then add ab out half a bottle of cleaner, leave the iso valves closed and run a hot tap for about half an hour, then drain and refill the heat exchanger, open the isos and it should be good to go, any experienced engineer will be able to do this in about an hour

Are you talking about the main heat exchanger or the plate exchanger for the hot water.

I know yours is a different boiler, but this video shows how it is done , you have a different set up but the principal is the same

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back