Glow Worm Flexicom 30cx F5 then F9 error?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I got a new Flexicom 30CX installed less than a year ago by a plumber who recommended it. It had an F9 error last year but we reset with button on front and it was fine. Now it is coming up as F5 (overheat) and then when you turn it off and turn on again says F9. I phoned the guy that installed it and he said its probably sludge in the system rather than a boiler fault? When he installed the boiler we paid and assumed he had done a full system flush and we paid the extra to have a magnetic cleaner bit added on to collect bits from the system in. I don't know how there could be sludge in the system already? It's not even been a year yet. It is under Glow Worm warranty and they can come round in a couple of days but I have a 6 week old and a 2 and a half year old so need to heat the house. Browsed and heard about a red reset button possibly fixing this but I am not a gas engineer and don't want to make matters worse, plus I can't find red reset button. I can get back the original plumber before Glow Worm can come round but begrudge paying him if it is because he didn't do something properly in the first place? Should I tackle it myself, am I endangering my family to fiddle with it? I don't want to do that but I also want heating. Any help greatly appreciated.
Clive

Sponsored Links
Fitting a magnetic filter is not the end of the job.

It needs to be checked after say a week and then at intervals afterwards according to the amount of dirt in it.

I suggest you look inside and tell us ( photo ? ) how much dirt.

If you did not see him power flush then I don't think that he will have done.

In my view he should be properly cleaning it at no extra charge. That's why the photo of the mag filter is so important.

Its also wrong in my view not to establish a regime for cleaning it at the appropriate intervals.

Most conscientious installers will come out first at no extra charge if there is any problem with a boiler during at least the first year!

If the problem is due to dirt then its not the manufacturer's dirt and they will not be expected to clean it out and may well charge you for their visit under the warrantee.

Why did you choose a cheap boiler?

Tony

We did not 'choose'a cheap boiler. This guy said these were the best and most popular ones at the moment, he also said they have a 10 year warranty. This then changed on day of installation to a 5 year, through him. How do I open the magnaclean? If its a case of popping that open and taking out any build up then great cant be that hard. My issue is whether a newly power flushed system could sludge up in less than 12 months? Thus making me think it wasn't power flushed (as we paid for it to be).

Get the installer back to have a look. As above the manufacturer wont touch it if its not been flushed.

You also wont to check the Benchmark has been properly filled out also. (Back of manufacts installation and servicing book)

Sponsored Links
The F5 is overheat, these models dont actually have an overheat stat. They register the temperature through thermistors so there isnt a red button to press.

The main cause for a boiler to overheat is through lack of circulation. This could be linked to your F9 fault as the F9 is a pressure sensing issue. The pressure sensor also acts as a pump proving device and it looks for a 0.2bar pressure rise when the pump runs. If it doesnt see this it goes to F9. So potentially the pump isnt running, the pressure sensor is blocked or there is a restriction between the two.

Its most likely the restriction/blockage thats causing the issue.

Allow for the Glow Worm engineer to inspect the boiler as its possible it could be an issue with the boiler, however its very unlikely. They will test it to identify the cause of the issue and advise you where to go next.

Piers

Merely having paid for a power flush does not mean that anything was done!

Many charge you for a mag filter and don't bother with a power flush.

The installer should come to see what is wrong free in my view.

As I said before opening the mag filter and taking a photo will enable you to see what the situation really is.

Piers, do G-W charge for a warranty visit if the system is choked with dirt?

Tony

Merely having paid for a power flush does not mean that anything was done!

Many charge you for a mag filter and don't bother with a power flush.

The installer should come to see what is wrong free in my view.

As I said before opening the mag filter and taking a photo will enable you to see what the situation really is.

Piers, do G-W charge for a warranty visit if the system is choked with dirt?

Tony

To be honest Tony, im not 100% but as far as im aware they will attend, issue a notice if its a system fault and you get 3 chances to rectify the issue. The 3rd visit is chargeable if you havnt had the issues rectified beforehand...

The first visit would not cost anything as its not the customers fault if they arent aware of the cause...

I also agree that the installer should have a look... In fact, if the boiler is less than 6 months old its something we strongly advise.

Piers

Could be a problem with the pump which I believe May cause a problem. F9 is the aquasensor which could have crud stuck in it giving a false reading

Hi,
Had Glow Worm round today to sort it out, they have replaced the pump as they said it appeared to be randomly seizing up. The guy also replaced the pressure sensor. Hopefully this will sort it out.
Thanks for all your advice!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back