Glow worm MK II boiler 40 R

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I do need advice on this one. Recently moved into a house- less than a week ago and it has a Glow worm fuelsaver MK II boiler Model 40 R and last night it stopped working. The pilot light comes on but does not stay on once the push button for lightining pilot is released. Got 3 plumbers to look at it. 1st plumber says that it is gone and should be changed. Refused to look at it and claims that although he could restart the boiler, afraid that i may get carbon monoxide which was scary. 2nd chap stated that I should consider changing but admitted that he has not worked on this boilers as they are no longer in use. Recommended a combi boiler.3rd chap states that the boiler is still ok-changed thermocouple and problem still occurs. Eventually stated that it is the gas valve and will order it on Monday.

My question is as follows:
1.Is the boiler still worth fixing?
2. If not worth fixing should I go for a combi boiler (property is a 3 bedroom house);
3. Any general advice on what to do much much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
FIX IT

Even with changing the gas valve, the boiler will probably still outlast some of the new condensing boilers

Graham

If thats the Spacesaver Mk11 then as above get it fixed.Very simple boiler and therefore reliable.Be aware that some parts are not available.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back