Problematic boiler advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have two very old boilers as follows (no tank):

Glow-Worm Fuelsaver MK II 40B with seperate pump for the central heating.

Chaffoteaux Britony II T Boiler for the hot water.

Now since we moved in 3 years ago we have had the thermocouple replaced once on the Glow-worm but has been working perfectly ever since.

The Britony I can never seem to get the pilot light to stay on for more than 5 mins and it constantly seems to blow out.

We have got the budget to shell out for a new boiler, what would be my best course of action?

Should I try to get the Britony repaired?

Should I just have the britony replaced?

Should I just get a new combi to replace them both?

The demands for the house are not that great and a 30kw combi should be sufficient (we have an electric shower and there is only 2 of us in a 2 bed terrace).

Thanks in advance

Geoff

Sponsored Links
Personally I would advise getting a new combi fitted.

Apart from saving on running costs, you will also only have one appliance to cost you for servicing each year.

I would normally recommend a Broag boiler, but since they are now looking at merging with Baxi, I may have to look elsewhere :mad: :cry:

I can see little advantage in doing anything else.

Both your appliances are old and you can buy just one to do both functions.

Tony

thank you.

I have a plumber friend who owes me a favour and will install for me for free but I need to buy all the stuff needed / wanted. At the moment my list is as follows.

Worcester Bosch Greenstar 27CDi combi boiler with flue
extra copper pipe
combiguard cartridge descaler thingy

Should I have the system powerflushed beforehand?

Sponsored Links
The decision to power flush or treat with chemicals rests with whoever is giving the guarantee on the water treatment after inspecting the condition of the system !

Presumably you already have TRVs on the radiators!

Tony

I would normally recommend a Broag boiler, but since they are now looking at merging with Baxi,
Where did you hear this from?

Are you sure it's not the other way round - Broag buying up Baxi, who are said to be having problems?

Edit

Found the answer to my question on the Remeha Dutch website (in English). Nothing on Baxi's or Broag's web site!

http://nl.remeha.com/index.php?id=151&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=65&tx_ttnews[backPid]=80&cHash=0c5b08d176

If it goes ahead, Remeha will be the major partner, so they should be in a position to influence the baxi product line. Maybe they will sell the Avanta boilers with a Baxi or Potterton badge on the front. :LOL:

I would normally recommend a Broag boiler, but since they are now looking at merging with Baxi,
Where did you hear this from?

Are you sure it's not the other way round - Broag buying up Baxi, who are said to be having problems?

Edit

Found the answer to my question on the Remeha Dutch website (in English). Nothing on Baxi's or Broag's web site!

http://nl.remeha.com/index.php?id=151&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=65&tx_ttnews[backPid]=80&cHash=0c5b08d176

If it goes ahead, Remeha will be the major partner, so they should be in a position to influence the baxi product line. Maybe they will sell the Avanta boilers with a Baxi or Potterton badge on the front. :LOL:

This is good news as the Dutch will influence the British makers who are not that good compare to others. But I do like the Baxis with the integral flow switches that means you can put TRVs all around and no room stat. This really appeals to people and is easier to install.

The Avantaplus range is so versatile being dual temperature system boilers. At one job they were stuck for space in height, and the cylinder using a coil would have meant it would be one third larger. I used a larger Avantaplus, a direct cylinder heated via a plate heat exchanger and bronze pump. The cylinder always reheated on maximum boiler temperature quickly and as they are drawing off DHW, the boiler is pumping heat into the cylinder where the DHW draw-off is and not once have they ran out of DHW. Well satisfied.

thank you.

I have a plumber friend who owes me a favour and will install for me for free but I need to buy all the stuff needed / wanted. At the moment my list is as follows.

extra copper pipe

personally would recommend a look at 30kw or more for really good hot water 27kw is just about ok but do avoid 24Kw combi's unless you like lukewarm water!!
yes the pipework will be needed to combine the old systems together
any scale reducer will help, but it won't stop scale completely

and yes a flush is required before a new boiler is fitted we usually remove the old boiler, then flush using the boiler - pipe connections (remember to block or cap off the F&E tank/s in the loft ) then once clean fit new boiler.

worcester are good boilers although i'm a vaillant fan personally!

It was announced in last weeks H&V News and a slight follow up this week.

It may not be as easy as Baxi would like, due to their massive debts and creditors etc.

thank you.

extra copper pipe

personally would recommend a look at 30kw or more for really good hot water 27kw is just about ok but do avoid 24Kw combi's unless you like lukewarm water!!
yes the pipework will be needed to combine the old systems together
any scale reducer will help, but it won't stop scale completely

and yes a flush is required before a new boiler is fitted we usually remove the old boiler, then flush using the boiler - pipe connections (remember to block or cap off the F&E tank/s in the loft ) then once clean fit new boiler.

worcester are good boilers although i'm a vaillant fan personally!

I'm currently an Avantaplus fan until something is cheaper and better. Well I do fit other boilers ;) I can't see the point in fitting a combi less than 35 kilowatts. The flow rate is so much better filling baths very nicely, not being that much extra to buy. Avantaplus do a 39 kilowatt, Glow Worm a 38 and W-Bosch a 42 kilowatt. The Avantaplus and Glow Worms are much cheaper than the Bosch. The only point is that if a larger gas pipe can't be installed you may be stuck with a small kilowatt combi.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back