Glow worm space saver 38 HELP PLEASE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an glow worm space saver that, altho old, is usually very reliable. In the past we have replaced pumps and thermocouple to keep it running smoothly but last week has been a nightmare. As soon as the weather turned the trouble started. We replaced the thermocouple and tested the pump - all working fine. The problem is that the boiler wont fire up consistently - makes all the right noises, clicks etc but switches itself off and on intermittently - even with the thermostat turned right up. We dont think the gas valve is stuck but it appears to be failing to stay open - if we tap the valve housing (gently of course) it comes back on - sometimes stays on for a couple of hours, some times stays on for only a few seconds - sometimes starts itself up. We have no insurance and no money to replace the boiler or pay massive call out/parts bills. Does anyone have any advice please.

Sponsored Links
dodgy thermocouple or dodgy gas valve, there is no advice to be given in this situation really except you need a good engineer who wont waste your time and money in getting it sorted, its not a complicated boiler.

valve is obsolette asfaik. You really must get an RGI to look at it.

valve is obsolette asfaik. You really must get an RGI to look at it.

They are, but gas112 (?) has one . At least he said he did a couple of weeks ago when he threatened to undercut my deal :D .

Sponsored Links
well we had an different make of boiler it developed a problem and i got british gas to fix it but i had to sign up for a 12 month contract - i was so pleased with thier service that i got my sons boiler on a homeserve and my new house and glad i got the contrqact incase of problems
im not always happy with them when on the phone but the engineers are fantastic the man that came down was really nice and did a full service on it too
it did cost me a fee thought as the boiler wasnt functioning for the initial set up it was 99 pounds but would have cost 350 as a one off with anyone else it was the pump that had gone and they were expensive

well we had an different make of boiler it developed a problem and i got british gas to fix it but i had to sign up for a 12 month contract - i was so pleased with thier service that i got my sons boiler on a homeserve and my new house and glad i got the contrqact incase of problems
im not always happy with them when on the phone but the engineers are fantastic the man that came down was really nice and did a full service on it too
it did cost me a fee thought as the boiler wasnt functioning for the initial set up it was 99 pounds but would have cost 350 as a one off with anyone else it was the pump that had gone and they were expensive

Must have been one hell of a pump to cost £350 to change it.

We have no insurance and no money to replace the boiler or pay massive call out/parts bills. Does anyone have any advice please.

Why do you think you are going to pay massive bills?

British Gas and Homeserve are some of the highest chargers! £600-£800 for a power flush that I can do for £350.

Tony

tony
what i meant was they came out straight away and did a repair it only cost 99 pounds so my experience was good

although i did have to set up an contract with them -

had a got a local guy to fix it may have been more and no definate contract if it failed again thats why i thought thye were ok

the contract was for the boiler only - nothing else
the plumber who normally i get is really good and very cheap but he said he knew little about the isar boilers so he then gave me a friends number who i called and he sounded like he was at home and there were kids crying in the background and he sounded a bit foreign so i had no choice to get british gas as ive got young children and we were very cold

tony - how much do you charge for crosslee gas fire that wont work but ignights ? its been like that all winter

today the boiler is working just perfectly. Is it possible that the weather can affect it? The temperature outside has increased today to above freezing, last time it misbehaved was when the temp fell to below freezing.. TOo much of a coincidence? is there any possibility that something freezes up?

hi jenny im glad that its working ok today

im sure the temp may have disturbed it, plumbers have been very busy on call outs

i have an ideal isar in my old house and i had it 'off' for a week i totally shut it down . and decided to put it on with the cold weather but with no call for central heating- i did some strange things when it first fired up but is ok now - it turned the heating on for a short time then off again - it never done that before but the house was empty and freezing inside

i believe that the glow worms are quite good though

tony
what i meant was they came out straight away and did a repair it only cost 99 pounds so my experience was good

had a got a local guy to fix it may have been more and no definate contract if it failed again thats why i thought thye were ok

the plumber who normally i get is really good and very cheap but he said he knew little about the isar boilers so he then gave me a friends number who i called and he sounded like he was at home and there were kids crying in the background and he sounded a bit foreign so i had no choice to get british gas as ive got young children and we were very cold

If you have an Isar get it on contract with BG the boiler is a pile of shoite and very expensive to maintain

tony - how much do you charge for crosslee gas fire that wont work but ignights ? its been like that all winter

tony

I interpret that as meaning you had to pay BG about £299 to get it repaired!

Thats must have been a very simple fault they coulkd do in less than 30 min.

Your local guy would probably have charged about £50 for that repair!

It could well have been as simple as repressurising the boiler system ( which most homeowners do themselves ).

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back