Glow Worm Space Saver MkII - Pilot Light Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Glow Worm Space Saver MkII, and recently the pilot light has started going out intermittently. I've read through some posts with similar problems, and had a good look at my boiler, but have been unable to isolate the issue, so could do with some advice...

Firstly, they specific symptoms: As far as I can tell, it is always shortly after the main burner been turned off out that the pilot light goes. The main flame will go, leaving the pilot light burning as expected, but then after a few seconds there will be a click which I believe is the thermocouple shutting off the gas valve, and the pilot light goes out.

Now, here's one presumption which I've been working on, so correct me if I'm wrong... the issue can only be down to components of the boiler, such as (likely candidates) the thermocouple and the gas valve. A Pilot light issue cannot be related to, say the clock/timer, the room thermostat or the valves in my hot water tank and central heating? If I'm wrong please explain!

So, back to the specific issue... my natural reaction is that it is likely to be a faulty thermocouple. But can anybody explain why this might lead to it going off only under the conditions described? Why does it not turn off randomly when just the pilot light is on? Can a dodgy thermocouple temporarily fail to provide current when dropping from very high temperature (ie main flame on) to a lower, but still sufficient temperature (ie pilot light only)?

One thing I noticed when taking all the frontage off the boiler to investigate - the spark from the piezoelectric ignition was arcing between the tip of the ignition system and the top of the thermocouple. Is this what it is meant to do? I couldn't see any other obvious contact for the spark to arc with. If not, is it possible that the sparking could have damaged the thermocouple?

That's about all the info I have at the moment. If anybody can offer any advice that would be great!

Oh - one more thing... if I want to replace the thermocouple, can anybody point me in the direction of somewhere I can select the right one for my boiler? Not been able to find anything online, and there seem to be a bewildering array of thermocouples on the market!

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Normally that problem as you describe is as a result of overheating when an o/h stat is fitted in series with the thermocouple.

There are a few less common problems but all of these involve safety issues and should be dealt with by a registered engineer.

Tony

Thanks Tony!

Can you clarify the overheating issue... do you mean its likely that it's actually overheating, or the o/h stat is faulty?

If it's the former, presumably this requires some proper professional attention, but if the latter can the o/h stat be changed easily?

I'm not 100% clear on how the o/h stat functions - is it basically like a trip switch which will cut out if the current from the thermostat is too high?

Thanks again!

Before I engage in any more discussion, you will need to see if there actually is an o/h stat in series with the thermocouple.

Tony

Sponsored Links
i have the space saver mark 2 and there is no O/H stat in series with the thermo couple.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back