Glowworm 40B Space Saver Pilot Burner.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old Glowworm 40B Space Saver.

The pilot light went out for the first time in years today.
It re-lit after a couple of attempts but I notice the "Y" shaped flame......
(One side lights main burner, one side heats thermocouple)......
Was not aimed very well at the thermocouple.
The boiler shut down again.
I have carefully cleaned it with a small wire brush but the thermocouple side flame is still not "aimed" properly. It IS now getting the thermocouple hot enough for the boiler to run. It's aimed more at the spark electrode which has glowed red through the sight glass for years & years.
I had a gentle attempt at moving the aiming collar but I'm unsure as to whether it is fixed at the factory.

Are the top parts of the pilot burner adjustable for aim?

Is it likely to be brittle and snap if I attempt to move it?

Is it down to the age of mine and perhaps a new one would be a better bet?

Cheers.

Ian.

Sponsored Links
you need to get gas engineer round due to fact u broken the combustion seals and he will have to check on parts if required

i would recommend you put the front back on and call a registered gas engineer

alternately post this in combustion chamber and you will get all the help you need

Sponsored Links
you need to get gas engineer round due to fact u broken the combustion seals and he will have to check on parts if required

There are no combustion seals on this boiler.
It's circa 1985.

Any idea if the top part of the pilot burner is adjustable for aim?

So you reckon there are no combustion cover seals then :?: Not RGI are you

I'm not RGI.
If I was, I wouldn't need this advice.
I didn't know if they'd still be teaching people about such old boilers.
People just seem to swap in Combis.
Just thought some time served people might be able to help.

There are no air / gas / flameproof seals on this boiler,
Or, by "seals" do you simply mean covers & cover plates?
It is very old.

I open it up every couple of years to clean out any dirt / dust
and brush down the cast iron fins with a radiator brush.

I was just after a bit of advice as to Whether the pilot flame is adjustable for direction.

Cheers.

Instead of rushing into repairs which you are not trained or competent to do you could start by reading the forum rules!

Its quite clearly stated that we do not give advice on DIY gas work.

Please take our advice and call a competent person who is trained and assessed at working on gas boilers.

Tony Glazier

OK, I understand.

I'll see if it starts to fail on a regular basis. If so, I'll call somebody out.

Is there somebody trustworthy in the Sheffield area who
you people would recommend?

It's taken me a few years to establish connections with tradesmen (I'm one myself) that I can trust & expect to do a good job for the money.
Somebody with "Old Boiler" experience rather than a massive list of recent qualifications.
I don't want......"I can do you a great deal on a Combi"

Thanks Again all of you.

Ian.

It is a simple repair. One which I did today.

If I may make a few suggestions here...

1: you use a reputable company that has been used by locals.
2: once you have given them the job, it should be a no fix no fee.
3: a reputable company will charge for their time - even to ascertain the fault. A simple repair like this will add very little to the diagnostic charge - but this is where you use stage 1. Personally, I would have it fixed within the call out charge but this is a DIY site, not a price comparison.
4: we are not out to rip you off, but we like to do a proper job - even a simple repair. You may be happy with an honest gas person, and tell a friend who needs a fire removing. He may tell a freind who needs a new boiler. Surely no-one can advise a new boiler on such a basic fault?

Mr. W.

Today, I went to repair a Worcester boiler leaking and with pressure fluctuations.

Condensate pipe joint leaking and resealed with solvent cement.

Pressure in expansion vessel correct but inadequate air volume so system depressurised and vessel repressurised.

No problem, all done within our fixed price diagnostic fee.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back