Glow Worm Ultimate 40FF ~ Intermittent Fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler wont ignite.

It has been an intermittant fault of the fan "hunting". Sometimes the boiler sits in this loop but sometimes she blasts up.

I have stripped and cleaned the boiler parts (not desturbing the gas parts).

I have checked the air pipes both positive and negitive and there seems to be no issue with thro' flow.

I have now got to the control box and checked the Air Pressure Switch (202201) and it is tripping the PCB. I bypassed the APS but the fan ran continually but the unit did not light.

This leaves me with 3 components that may be at fault. The APS, PCB (900847) or the Multifunctional Control. I am assuming its not the MC otherwise I may as well just get a new boiler but can anybody help in diagnosing this problem.

On inspection (and reading other discussions) the PCB is a 2 fused, Yellow LED type (so possibly the old version with the pants design flaw).

I need to know if it is worth getting a new PCB and the APS or just the PCB. Or if I am totally barking up the wrong tree....

Any advice would be appreciated....

Sponsored Links
Had exact fault little while ago. Was advised by GW technical to check the pump resistance.

If the PCB sees a funny resistance it will cause the fan hunting. :confused:

It was the PCB at fault as is yours probably.

Chaps,

To let you all know I changed the PCB and the boiler fired up first time.

It was easy but I took a few pictures to ensure all the wires were correct.

The PCB (900847 ~ 2 fuse type; 105111) was ordered on Sunday night from www.keeptheheaton.com and it arrived on Tuesday afternoon, fitted tuesday night (20mins).

I also orderd a thermister control (112085) but this is only needed for the upgrade from the 1 fuse type. Still a spare is not a bad thing...

Anyway this helps if you have a similar problem.

Happy heating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back