Glow Worm Micron 40FF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

I'm having problems with my Micron 40FF, it's around 7 years old.

Back in December the fan went, I replaced this and all was fine.

But then in April this year it started playing up again, it would work in the morning but midday to the next morning the boiler had two flashing lights on the front.

I managed to get a new PCB and it fixed the fault for a day but the next day when I got up it was showing the reset indicator.

I reset the boiler and it started up again, later that day the two flashing indicators showed again leading me to think it was the APS but the this morning the reset indicator was showing so I reset the boiler and it's now running again.

Could the boiler be overheating causing it to lock out?

Thanks

NWR

Sponsored Links
I have this problem with the same type of boiler, luckily or unluckily i rent from a housing association so they have to fix or not as the case maybe.

My probs started wen i move in march 2012, every day boiler reset light is on and needs to be reset which will then work, until the next day.

Its had new pcb, pump, air switch, themostat, thats just wat i can remember loads of other things, but still it need resetting, there now saying it needs gas valve and regulator(i think!!) and a few other parts.

They got intouch with gloworm and they said that the reset light can mean anything is wrong and is not just connected to over heating, am now goin bald with it all lol

The other problem for me is where it is, on the ceiling in the corner of my kitchen and me being 5'2 i need to use steps to climb on to the worktop then lean over and reset boiler!!!!!!

Hopefully their next visit will either fix or they will agree to replace, well heres hopeing

thanks for the rant feel better now and sorry for hijacking ur thread

Juliex

Thank you for your reply Julie.

Unfortunately I own the house so there's no one who can fix it for me without it costing a fortune.

I've got an air pressure switch on its way, think I'll buy a new fan too.

NWR

Sponsored Links
Anything in the combustion chamber ( fan, APS etc. ) should only be changed by a gas reg engineer!

Anything in the combustion chamber ( fan, APS etc. ) should only be changed by a gas reg engineer!

Where in the legislation does it say that?

I'm sure it states competent person not gas registered engineer!

Well explain to me the definition of competence Dan.

You've no idea of my background or competence.

I'll give you a good start, one of the main factors of competence is knowing when to ask for help, and that's what I've done here by posting this thread.

P.s you don't legally need to be on a register to be deemed competent.

NWR

I'll give you a good start, one of the main factors of competence is knowing when to ask for help, and that's what I've done here by posting this thread.

NWR

Why do you feel the need to ask others for help if your so competent :rolleyes:

Unfortunately I own the house so there's no one who can fix it for me without it costing a fortune.

I've got an air pressure switch on its way, think I'll buy a new fan too.

NWR

It seems to be costing you a fortune even without someone to fix it.

ill offer you one example of competence, networkrail.
knowing how or why to test parts so as to only buy/replace parts that are not working or are in an unsafe condition

NWR

I never said you had to be registered; and I would probably refrain from trying to teach me the laws that govern what I do for a living. It won't end well ;).

And my opinion based on first hand experience of Network Rail employees and competence in their field doesn't inspire me greatly I can assure you.

Knowing that you have no idea and have to ask for help on a simple boiler clearly demonstrates you don't have the competence, nor the (in some cases) calibrated equipment to check your work afterwards.

Happy to be proved wrong, but some how doubt it will happen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back