gloworm 30 ci leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, got a 9 year old gloworm 3CI boiler, worked fined since installation. Now pressure is dropping on the LCD display. So, If I pressurise to 1.2 bar, drops to <0.7 in around 12 hours. If I run the central heating at full blast, pressure goes to 2.9 bar, constant dripping from the pressure relief pipe (not the condensate one). Can anyone tell me if this is the pressure relief valve or expansion vessel? Any decent heating engineer with experience of glow worm boilers who wants to quote to come and fix it, without fleecing me is welcome to call (07970 382730), Nottingham

tom

Sponsored Links
you have an expansion vessel problem , doesnt necessarily need replacing may just need recharged have a look in the info section above its something you can do yourself

Sponsored Links
have pressurised the expansion vessel, no water came out of the valve, there is however some crud (green, powdery exudate) around the bottom of the vessel where the pipe comes out, no sign of any leak at the moment, but clearly something has dribbled out at some point.

external pipe still dripping water, pressure still slowly going down, any advice anyone?

Now you have charged your Expansion Vessel, it is likely that the Pressure Relief valve is goosed - it has been discharging regularly and so the seat is probably done for, a new PRV should be fitted, I bet the person who fits will will cut the top of his/her thumb on the sharp bottom frame next to the PRV (I know I always do!! :evil: )

Expansion vessels loose air pressure for exactly the same reason car tyres loose pressure, which is why the expansion vessel MUST be checked annually during the Boiler Service - My engineers check Exp Vessels at any visit i.e. break down or service call it only takes a couple of minuites

The PRV is fairly easy to change, drain the circuit by turning the knob on the PRV, once empty, undo the union nut connecting the discharge pipe, pull this clear, then pull out the clip that holds the PRV into the manifold, twist and pull this clear, (an old towel will be handy to catch any dirty water that might dribble out, fit new valve in reverse order cutting the top of your thumb in the process !!!!

once job completed affix plaster to thumb and have a cuppa ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back