Gloworm 60ff Micron - Possible Pump Problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently had to install a new pcb for my boiler as the other packed in. Heating has run like a dream until today when the Grundfos two speed Super 4 pump upstairs is making an odd whiring & squeeling sound.

The heating was set to come on this afternoon at 4 but the burner on the Gloworm is not igniting. The ignition has just sparked but the noise started and 20 seconds later the burner went out.

I'm at a loss to determine what's wrong. I don't think it's the pcb as it's brand new 2 months ago.

Can anyone advise what it might be?

Sponsored Links
It sounds like a lack of water.

Check pressurisation or F&E tank!

See FAQ if necessary.

Tony

Probably the usual problem of open vent systems: system full of crap and/or flow problem

Thanks fella's. I just took the front off the pump and it's still spinning? Today it got red hot and was squealing.

Does this mean it has been pumping air rather than water?

It seems strange that I bled my bathroom radiator yesterday which hadn't worked for months and then today the heating doesn't work dud to, as you suggest, down to lack of water?

Sponsored Links
It seems strange that I bled my bathroom radiator yesterday which hadn't worked for months and then today the heating doesn't work dud to, as you suggest, down to lack of water?
Quite common actually! Full scenario is that the cold feed is blocked. Over time water content of system drops but cannot refill due to blocked cold feed.

The one day a radiator is bled and water content now drops below minimum required to operate and you have exactly symptoms you have.

Cold feed is blocked where it joins main system. Get a magnet and see if it is attracted to pipe at that position.

Another bit of info. I bled the bathroom rad, the one that hadn't worked for months, whilst the CH was on.

The more I read it's becoming apparent that this was a bad idea? Do I need to put pressure back in my boiler?

Perhaps this may explain why my boiler would not even ignite this evening?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back